GO!

Gross marking habit, or something else...?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 4:09pm PST 
So... I actually wasn't sure if this belonged in behavior, or health. I'm putting it here because it seems more like a behavior thing to me.

Lately Nix has started this strange habit of lifting his leg when he needs to poop. It really looks like he doesn't even realize he needs to poop, and is trying to lift his leg to mark, but then a log pops out, and usually after that he realizes he's actually pooping and squats like normal.

Anyone have any ideas on why he would do this...?

I don't mind it, necessarily. It's just really weird. thinking I've seen other dogs who lift one foot off the ground when pooping, but the way Nix does it is different. He doesn't just lift a foot--he hikes his whole leg up there.

Edited by author Thu Nov 1, '12 4:14pm PST

[notify]
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:42pm PST 
Ridley does this sometimes too.
Interested in what people reply with.
[notify]
~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:20pm PST 
oh lord!!! laugh out loud

That was Emma for a little while. She had a habit of lifting her left to pee. Ok whatever...then she started to do it when she poo'd.

Honestly, I just laughed at her (and told her so!). It didn't last long, and now she poo's all lady like. *phew*

I kid, but you could try to get her to poo how you would like. smile I'm pretty sure there would be a "clickable" or "mark"-able moment.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:36pm PST 
My SIL has a dog that lifts his leg to poop.

He's done this for a good long while now, I think it's just what he prefers...while out on a walk she has actually had people stop and stare at her dog when he poops! laugh out loud
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:51pm PST 
Scruffy has done that a few times before. My theory is that his tank is empty but he is still trying to squeeze out a few drops but he ends up squeezing too hard and poos. shrug
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:55pm PST 
I forgot to say he doesn't do it all the time. laugh out loud

He really does it only when he's in a "marking quest"--like when we've arrived at a place we haven't been to for a while, and he's going around lifting his leg on every tree and bush that smells interesting. It's like he gets so absorbed in his quest to leave his signature on the foliage that he doesn't realize he's gotta do #2, so out it comes when he's in the middle of marking. The good news is, once he realizes there's poo coming out his butt, he'll swing around and poop IN the bush. Not on the trail! laugh out loud He always has nice solid poops, so it doesn't make a huge mess or anything, which I'm extra-thankful for. lol..

I'm glad to know he's not the only dog that does this though!

ETA:
Scruffy, that would make sense laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Nov 1, '12 7:58pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 4:52am PST 
Mine does exactly the same! I like the term 'marking quest', lol. Sometimes he starts cocking his leg on a tree to pee, starts to poop and then pushes his butt up and craps up the bark of the tree. thinking Weird and gross.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:35am PST 
Sanka does this. When Sanka gets moving, combined with the smells, his bowels just get a rumblin' lol. He usually tries to mark and then it just seems to happen.

I think he intends to pee, but just happens to have a BM at that moment because of the movement.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 5:27am PST 
Cobain started doing this maybe about a year or two ago.

I'm with the others on the "empty tank" theory. Seems to make the most sense, although Oz - who is a much more...adamant...marker than Cobain - never does this which is odd.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 5:40am PST 
Before he was neutered, Kodi was WAY into marking at the park, and not only would he poop mark, when he was out of THAT he actually figured out he could use his anal glands, eugh. silenced
[notify]