GO!

New Dog Moving In Soon

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 6:18pm PST 
I have a friend moving down from Ohio (to Texas) in the next month or so. He will be bringing his 7 month old Pitbull Becca as well. I'm sure the change in locations will take effect on Becca, as will having a new doggie in the house will have an effect on Tia (cat) and Angel. I need advice in making this transition as smooth as possible. I know Angel will be on alert because of the new dog (and I'm honestly not sure how she will react because she's only lived with puppies before) and I know Tia will be stressed out. My friend tells me his dog is good with cats, but we all know that can mean "only good with cats in the family." I do not want to over-complicate matters, but I want to be prepared and make it go as easily as possible to not stress ANY of the furbabies out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and to add on to possible stress for Tia and Angel, I am adding on a room to my house to accommodate said friend (my house only had one room).

Please, I need advice on how to handle this with care. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum...just didn't know which one it should go in.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 7:18pm PST 
I don't know if it's possible but, maybe you can have the dogs meet somewhere else before they meet in the house or on the property. A lot of dogs are territorial and just bringing dog into another dog's terrain is asking for problems. Maybe you could take them both for a long walk together with you and your friend in the middle to act as referees if there are any problems. As for the cat, the only suggestion I have for that would be to put your cat in a crate when they are introduced. At least you would have some idea of what might happen when they are together. I would make sure the cat has escape routes & quiet places to hide if it wants to get away. It will be a little stressful for all three because it is a big change for them. Good Luck!
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 7:34pm PST 
Thanks! Whenever he arrives at my house I plan on having my kitty in my room with the door closed. As for Angel, I'm not really sure yet. Becca will be traveling a lot already, and making her stay in the car longer just to get somewhere away from "Angel's territory" seems like a bit much. I may just keep them separated for a few days and then have them meet. Would that be a good idea?
[notify]

Kali

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 7:41pm PST 
Do you live in a neighborhood where you could just take them for a walk? If so, then you wouldn't have to drive anywhere. Then once you get back to the house, keeping them separate would be a good idea. You could take them for a walk every day for a few days, until they get used to each other.
[notify]
Kali

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 7:42pm PST 
By the way, I love Angel's picture. She looks so happy. smile
[notify]
Jagger- **ADOPTED**

Ewok/Wookiee- Cross

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:31pm PST 
I recently added a foster dog to my household (less than a week ago). A friend of mine shared this blog entry with me on how to successfully introduce a new dog to the household with minimal fuss and stress. Two Week Staycation: In the Beginning I've been implementing this procedure and it's going well so far. Though the foster goober has only been here less than a week. I think it's going well keeping Risa and him separate and just letting them learn each other's scent for now. They can get to know each other without the stress of a face-to-face confrontation at first. smile
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:10am PST 
Kali not really. There are several busy streets in my neighborhood...although there is a large field near my house that I guess we could walk them in. Jagger that was a great article and I'm considering some of those ideas now as well! Thanks for the tip! Thanks for the advice guys...I guess I am just nervous as to how it will work out...
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:13am PST 
And Kali thank you for the compliment! Even with her health issues she's a very happy dog!
[notify]
Valentine

I has a happy.- It is for you.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:05am PST 
If at all possible, I *really* recommend a meeting on neutral territory. We did that with our two, then on the day we brought Valentine home, my husband met up with us down the street with Titus and we had a short walk with both dogs that ended with them coming into the house together.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 2:13am PST 
Valentine I am leaning towards trying that...there are a few parks in the area that aren't usually busy, so maybe my friend and I could do that. I think I am more nervous about how my friend's dog will react to Tia (my cat) than Angel.
[notify]