GO!

Walking new dog in park...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 1:53pm PST 
Hi, I'm new to Dogster and have a situation that I need help with.
I've just become the owner of a sweet pure bred four year old retired show dog. He has tons of dog show experience but zero "walking in the park" experience. In other words he's used to being around many other dogs who are well controlled but not used to unleashed dogs just running up on him. He walks well on his lead and is quiet and polite when meeting other dogs--so far all the dogs we've met are friendly. I'm concerned that people are bringing their dogs right up to him without asking me or worse, allowing their off lead dogs (this is an onlead park only) to rush up to him. Today we had three come running up. My dog has handled it well, he is good natured. But what happens if a dog runs up who want to fight with my dog?? If my dog gets into a fight, he is a breed who will be blamed no matter who starts is or what the outcome.... Is there anything I can do? Thank you for any response.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 2:02pm PST 
Just wondering, how long have you had him?
You might want to look up something along the lines of '2 week shut down'.
It gives the dog a chance to get used to their new home and bond with you, without throwing the additional stress of worrying about other dogs on the both of you.

However you cannot control the other peoples dogs, sadly. All you can do is either move on to a different park that might me quieter, or watch other dogs like a hawk. Making a U-Turn in your walk is perfectly acceptable to avoid an off-leash dog. You might be able to tell their intentions by reading body language (a dog that charges in a straight line towards you is looking for trouble, while a meandering dog thats all over the place probably isnt that much of a threat).

Goodluck with your new dog (:
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 2:25pm PST 
Thanks for your reply. I've had him two weeks. I like the idea of the "two week shutdown". Actually I had thought of something like this on my own when I first brought him home but a friend encouraged me to get him out for exercise to help any adjustment anxiety because he's rather large and my home is very small... but we do have a decent sized yard. So maybe I will do this to give us both some bonding time. Thank you again.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 2:26pm PST 
I agree 100% with Nare.

In addition, I'd suggest maybe a change in mindset. While it is extremely annoying encountering bad dog owners and dealing with the repercussions of it, if you do happen to find yourself in a situation where a dog does run up to you, think of it as a moment to meet a new dog and perhaps meet a new friend or have some fun. Your brain is a powerful thing, and jumping right to "what if that dog bites mine" mode can actually cause more issues. I know it's tough, but it's worth a try.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 3:13pm PST 
Thank you for your input--you have an excellent point. I'm sure my dog can sense my anxiety which can't be good for him. His breeder assured me of his excellent temperament. Maybe I need to relax and trust that my dog, though inexperienced with these sorts of encounters, will weather them as his breeder feels he will. Thank you again.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 3:33pm PST 
Someone in another forum brought up a cool idea. She carries a small pop up umbrella. When a dog runs up to hers (it's a service dog, so she's obviously not willing to take any chances of the other dog not being friendly) she pops the umbrella open. It woukd startle most dogs into stopping their forward advance. I told her I was going to steal her idea & train my girls & my client's dogs to the umbrella so it doesn't freak them out. Some people also carry sticks, blow horns or pepper spray. The dog will feed off you though. If you are unsure, the dog will be too. Learning canine body language will also help you determine if the approaching dog is friendly or not. Also, if, heaven forbid, a dog fight does happen, the off leash dog's owner would be held accountable since there is a leash law.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 5:11pm PST 
An umbrella! What a novel idea, I never would have thought of this and I bet it would be effective. Thank you so much!

I've tried to pick unpopular parks and off times to walk to minimize encounters but amazingly, dogs have been there nearly every time-- even today when it was raining and 39 degrees and this park is 1100 acres big...I think myself and the guy running his three pointers off lead were the only two people there!

But anyhow, thank you again for your reply, it's so nice to have support and good advice. Glad I found Dogster. smile
[notify]