GO!

'Scary Dog'

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 4:57pm PST 
I think you may have to watch closely and learn the signs that something is going to happen BEFORE it happens. Then redirect, separate and teach and alternative, more appropriate behavior.

I know The Pug sometimes gets a bit bully. She starts by tracking a dog with her eyes, very still, only her head moves. I have learned that as SOON as I see that, I need to call her (I have classically and operantly conditioned her name), then ask her to do something for me (a simple "touch" usually does it), then tell her how wonderful she is and the moment is over.

BEFORE I figured it all out, she could be on a dog quicker than you can blink. Now she just gets a little still, then looks at me for direction.

Is there anything you can think of that triggers it? With The Pug, it is a bit of resource guarding her people. Is it a resource? A certain place? Something the other dog does? A time of day? What is the common denominator?
[notify]
Zack

I would rather- go through than- around!!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 10:59am PST 
Asher funny you say that. We have a pug too! I KNOW that zack sticks up for her so we keep food separate, that will trigger her which triggers zack. Last night and this morning I watched for the 'stalking' and staring and called zack off and told him he was a good boy. Just found out that at lunch he was posing play bows and the foster followed suit with a mature paw to say "ya ok but not now". I think this is a HUGE break through smile. going to continue to have him come to me when he gets his moments but there was a moment of play and happiness which made us happy. Still need to be careful but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated smile.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2