GO!

Switching to a new agility trainer

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2  
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 4:20pm PST 
We had a substitute instructor today, who told everyone at the beginning of class to give each other 10 feet, and firmly stepped in when a guy's teenaged son let their dog wander. Ahh, bliss!! Smokey had a fantastic class. The instructor said that she never would have guessed he has reactive issues, which was really nice to hear. She also stayed after and talked to me about how to break down departure cues into baby steps for counterconditioning, which should help with both reactivity (because he's usually about 80% of the way to his threshold as soon as we step out the door) and separation anxiety. The support system thing really is so important, isn't it? I don't know hardly anyone here in San Diego, but I am trying to build myself one, and I'm getting there.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, Farley. I know you've got a couple weeks until your class starts, but Smokey and I will keep sending you good thoughts.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2