GO!

Crap!! What do I say to her?!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:32am PST 
So I just walked into one of my client's house for a playdate. We rotate playdates & walks with him. Sitting on her kitchen counter is a brand new shock collar. CRAP!!! I know these collars have their place in training, I've used them on hunting dogs in the past, but these dogs were solid in their training & the collars were used for long distance work. I wouldn't use them now as I know there are better methods. But this dog is leash aggressive ( he will lunge at anything that moves) & can be dog aggressive. He does very well on walks with me. I use a halti on him & we work on focus when other dogs that are not in our "pack" walk near us. He's made huge strides in ignoring bikers, joggers, & skaters. I cringed when I saw the collar because I know this will make his behavior worse. This is the owners first dog & she does pretty well for the most part. She took him to puppy classes, but not sure if she's done any formal training since. How do I bring this up.with her without offending her or loosing her as a client? He's 2 now I think & I've been doing playdates & walking him since he was 8 weeks old, although walks didn't start until this summer because I told her I couldn't take him to the dog park anymore due to him fighting with some dogs. Some dogs he's great with. He's really good with my two girs & their "cousins".
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:46am PST 
Perhaps framing it as "In my professional opinion...". You're the trainer, tell her exactly what you said-that there are kinder more effective training aids than shock collars.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:46am PST 
Perhaps framing it as "In my professional opinion...". You're the trainer, tell her exactly what you said-that there are kinder more effective training aids than shock collars.
[notify]

Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 8:16pm PST 
I'm not her trainer, just her dog walker. I don't want to overstep my bounds with her,
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 8:29pm PST 
Does she know you're a dog trainer? Perhaps say that, while you were walking him, you noticed some reactivity towards other dogs and would like to possibly work with him? Talk to her about the way you'd like to work with him, and maybe why you don't want to use other methods.

That way, you're bringing in a positive light, instead of instantly telling her that she's doing something wrong.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 1:39am PST 
I would just tell the truth- "I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable using that." If she wants to know why, "Shock collars can cause reactive dogs to get worse. A dog is more likely to think the shock is caused by the other dog's presence rather than by his own behavior, since he is acting on instinct when he lunges and growls. Even if it does stop him from acting aggressive, it doesn't change how he feels. He is still uncomfortable and afraid, but he is not showing it. This can lead to him biting without giving us any warning, which creates an unsafe situation for me as a dog walker."
[notify]