GO!

Stop a puppy from whining for attention?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 12:41pm PST 
So my puppy has started whining for attention after he saw my roommates dogs do it. I have tried ignoring the behavior and turning away from him when he does it. It doesnt work, yes I have tried this for over a week and the whining did not stop. I have tried rewarding for when he is quiet. He still does it. Any ideas on how to get rid of this behavior?
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:10pm PST 
You could try teaching him another way to get attention, like sitting and watching you. Ask him for a sit and a watch me as soon as he starts whining, and reward that with intense attention, petting, cuddles, playing, etc. And just keep ignoring the whining. This means no eye contact, no moving your body toward him, no talking to him, fiddling with your treat bag, etc. Maybe start reading a magazine or checking Facebook so you won't be tempted. You can even completely freeze the second he starts whining, and act like a statue until he stops, or get up and leave the room, if you want to kick it up a notch.
[notify]