GO!

Pulling on a Lead

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 42)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:12pm PST 
Toto, applause Very well said.

Asher, I want to do TAGteach with my baby(when I have one in hopefully several years into the future).
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 6:04am PST 
This post was on the Akita forum and I suggested that the OP post here knowing that people like Toto,Asher,Moulder,and Lobo would very likely post along with JT and some others and be able to help with locating the proper equipment. The OP has tried a halti without much sucess and I know several of you have used or know of others who have used a no-pull harness with sucess. I was unable to help because I started my Akitas as puppies with walking well and used a halti at around 4 months only as a tool for a short time,the OP was unable to do this because her Akita is a rescue. For those of you who offered sound advice and information as well as where she could obtain PROPER tools,THANK-YOU !!!!cheerapplausehug Although used properly a training collar can also be a tool,I personally do not recommend them even for an Akita and have found over the last 17 years of raising them,that using such forceful methods is very detrimental to the relationship between an Akita and their person where TRUST is always an issue. I know from working with many powerful breeds over my lifetime that positive training methods help to build both trust and respect between the dog and person and that brings it's own rewards. Using force which causes mistrust will not earn the devotion and respect it is so necessary for the breed to have for it's person and family. I'm sure that this is so for other breeds as well. So again THANK-YOU to those of you who offered sound advice on how to train properly and suggested appropriate tools and information. You have my gratitude as well as my respect.hugwishes
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 42)  
1  2  3  4  5