GO!

Anyone here use a muzzle on walks?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 2:52am PST 
I muzzle Angel in public because I'm not always certain of her reaction to different things. She's never shown any HA, but she is very "in your face" when it comes to greeting other dogs. I'd just rather not take the chance of something happening. I'll be honest...it also helps control her when she starts to become unruly on the leash when other dogs pass by. People normally have "that look" as if she's dangerous - do I think she is? No. Does anyone that's around her? No. But, I must admit I like that people have stopped rushing up to us at places like Petsmart and Petco.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 4:13am PST 
If I move into a built up area JT will absolutely have to be muzzled. He's just too unpredictable around strange dogs for me to take the chance. I will probably get strange looks.

Right now I don't bother as we walk late at night, no one to run into then.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 12:55pm PST 
Angel people act that way when I use a Halti on Bianca... Most people seem to think it's a muzzle, and it also helped to provide extra control around other dogs as she used to be more dog reactive (but was never aggressive at all).
[notify]

Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 3:28pm PST 
I think muzzles are great tools for people. If I had a dog who I had concerns about I would, without hesitation, muzzle my dogs in public.

There is a fantastic youtube video by Chirag Patel about conditioning your dog to LOVE their muzzle. I did this with both of my dogs not because they need to be muzzled but because I want them comfortable wearing one just in case.

How to teach your dog to love their muzzle

I didn't do every one of his steps and I changed up some of it but it's a FANTASTIC place to start so your dog doesn't get stressed about the muzzle.

Also, make sure you get an APPROPRIATE style muzzle for your dog. I was at an event recently where someone had their dog muzzled (this was a dog event and ignoring for a moment that a dog who has to be muzzled in public may not be an appropriate dog to have at this type of crowded event)... but this big black dog had a grooming muzzle on which prevented her from panting, drinking, or eating. This is very dangerous because dogs can quickly overheat if they are not able to pant or drink. You want to make sure you get a properly fitting basket style muzzle.

If this is NOT a dog who seriously wants to kill everything all the time, my favorite type of muzzle is the Baskerville Ultra muzzle.... it's lightweight, comfortable, somewhat flexible, and has the added security of a forehead strap. It is what 99% of the people I work with opt for their dog if it needs a muzzle--it's secure and absolutely keeps everyone safe.

If your dog seriously wants to kill people/dogs, you may want to invest in a JAFCO muzzle, they are a bit more bulky, with a bit less room for deliver treats, and is a bit heavier/bulkier to the dog but since it only has small holes, it's much less likely for a person/dog to get a body part in the holes of the muzzle and in the mouth of the dog.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 4:23pm PST 
I believe that Leerburg has good instructions on measuring for a basket muzzle.thinking
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 4:29pm PST 
Don't they have all the measurements on the basket style muzzles packaging already, when you buy them? I'm pretty sure Missy's did.

I have one for her but it's seldom been used. She is DA, but i feel keeping her on lead and under control is all that is needed in our circumstances.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 9:08pm PST 
If you're looking for a basic muzzle for simple HA that isn't that bad I'd look into the plastic Jafco muzzle that Leerburg sells. Their sales staff is actually pretty good at helping you get the right fit as well. When I've used them in the past with rescues I feel that the clear one looks less intimidating than most of your wire muzzles and it's cheaper to boot.

And in agreement with what someone above said I have seen that many dogs are much less stressed when you take the ability to bite away.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 12:48pm PST 
I'm thinking about getting one for Nicky but I was a bit worried that we might get kicked out of our favorite stores or something. The Baskerville muzzle was on doggyloot a few weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for not getting one but I wasn't sure about sizing either. I'm glad to see it on the Leerburg website!
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 5:08pm PST 
Lilith: I live in Finland and I bet that if I made my collie to wear a muzzle I would get questions about that and suspicious looks. And probably some people would cross the street or otherwise avoid me and my dog. They would definitely think that my dog would be vicious and dangerous. Well, Alva does not use a muzzle and does not need one (she has no aggression issues). Only people who probably won't ask any questions could be greyhound people. They use muzzles on their dogs when they let them run free in a sandpit so that if a dog accidentally bumps into another or tries to snap at another they cannot damage the skin of the other dog.

I've seen a dog walking wearing a muzzle about three or four times in my life. First one was our puppy who ate little stones. The muzzle was black like the dog's head so no one noticed it. The second one was a golden retriever. It looked pretty lazy so I don't know if it was aggressive or just eating everything touched by a memory of something edible. The third and fourth dogs were big and dark rottweiler/cane corso or that kind of dogs. And one of them was definitely aggressive. I passed him by with Alva and the dog tried to lunge at us. Its owners sprayed pressurized air at its face and it sneezed and continued the behavior. The other I saw walking Alva in the woods and it barely noticed us.

If I see a dog with muzzle I assume it is wearing the thing for a good reason. If I have to be in contact with the dog I'd ask the owner why the muzzle is on. And I would not touch or go too mear a dog wearing a muzzle because if it's wearing it for aggression issues I don't want to distress the dog even it cannot hurt me or my dog by biting. But I would behave normally, just not get too close to the dog.
[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 8:10pm PST 
My boyfriend has to muzzle his dog at all times around other dogs. So if he is walking alone, no muzzle, but if I go with him and the little ones, he wears the muzzle. He wears the muzzle inside the house at pretty much all times unless he is crated. We knew when we had to muzzle him it needed to be a super comfortable one that he could wear for hours and hours, pant, drink, and even eat kibble in (though the kibble thing we learned by accident, more concerned with the drinking and panting). He has been wearing it for 2-3 years now. The only problem we have is every once in a great while it gets really dirty. That is the only time it will rub the fur off, and once we are living together I will have a second one so I can rotate them out and clean them more frequently.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2