GO!

Is it okay to use your dog's food as treats when training?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 7:59pm PST 
"Some dogs expect you to up the ante with the treats"

JT, are you reading Lobo's brain? laugh out loud Lobo LOVES food... But if we're outside of training sessions, I better pull out the real meat. I worked on "Wait" using raw meat, as well as working on release cues. I used only toys when teaching "Drop it" and "Take it" and that took a bit, but honestly faster than what I expected it to. But, hey, it works now, even outside of sessions, so whatever. laugh out loud His "Leave it" is getting pretty good. I use a variety of different treats for that, though. We're working on "Wait" mid-run right now. He's doing FABULOUS!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 8:28pm PST 
Mine is a total food hound too, but raw meat has become a bit 'meh' in our house because it's so old hat. That's the only problem with raw feeding, the buggers get spoiled! He gets his liver allotment dried for our work in the house, but I haven't really found anything that he cares to look at me for on his leash. Some dogs are like freaking rally champs the way they look at you so earnestly on their leads, but he isn't up for that malarkey at all, lol. He's been bred and trained to surge ahead, and he ain't changing his mind for any bloody treat! Right now we have a comfortable harness, a very long leash, and a cross the road now command, ha. Oh well. You do what works and don't worry about the rest, right? Least he's happy. I'll keep looking for the perfect look at me reward. smile

Eta: With mid run wait, I lucked out hugely ... he came to me with it. All the commands used for working sheep I could twist to suburban life. laugh out loud The first walk I ever took him on I just let him run and he responded, no food, no real rapport even ... I'd only had him 12 hours, lol! I always reckon the farmer's kid took the wrong dog off the chain and gave me one of his bosses best dogs by mistake, lol!

Edited by author Sat Oct 27, '12 8:35pm PST

[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 1:35am PST 
I'm surprised it's not meh here. He gets it everyday! But he's very eager to work. I'm not really sure why, actually. From what other Husky owners have told me, they aren't a "willing to please" breed, and we all know that Akitas (Japanese or American) aren't, either. I guess I lucked out.

Oh, man, JT. I wish Lobo came with cues already known. Teaching him was utter hell. I mean, it helped my depression massively because I couldn't just sit around doing nothing, but I was incredibly stupid when it came to dogs, so I followed methods similar to the methods that Jocie follows.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 2:17am PST 
Ah, well, I didn't know much about dogs either when I got mine, other than the hideously leash reactive malamute I used to walk on a check for a friend, and Victoria Stilwell on tv. You gotta start somewhere. I let mine garot himself on a flat collar for nearly a year before I saw a kumfi stop pull in the pet store. I was like 'oh my god there IS another way!' laugh out loud $20 bucks that changed my life, ha. Sad. wink Now I love collecting harnesses, it's become a bit of a sickness lollollol. laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 2:19pm PST 
"If I have to hear the name Neal D. Lease one more time I think I'm gonna scream"
JT, as an old GSD show person from the 70's who DID and DOES know the players, UNLESS Neal has changed his name recently, it is Leas, NOT Lease. I am sure he would really appreciate having it plastered all over Dogster spelled wrong. Hope Jocie isn't currently taking classes with him, BOL!
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:25pm PST 
Toto, I think Jocie actually said that he is her trainer.

Have you actually worked with him?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 5:50am PST 
No, Lobo, I only knew OF him. I am sure Tiller also does.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 8:20pm PST 
Ah, okay. I was just curious.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3