GO!

So proud of Liam

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 8:25am PST 
Alright, so after all the threads of 'Liam!!!!!' I wanna post a good news post.

Just now i was outside(At my new apartment) Liam was on his 60ft tie out, and tuarwen was running around loose. The yard isnt fenced, hence liams tie out. Anyways, the neighbor walks around the corner and I grabbed Liams tie out cause when he spooks he reacts aggressively sometimes,which i didnt want.

Anyways, guy asks if they're friendly, i tell him 'She is, he's iffy with some people' and guy goes 'k' and walks back to his shed thats behind our apartments. I wait till liam relaxes and let him go.Well as im picking up liam poo, the guy walks back out of his shed and Liam runs up growling. It isnt a vicious growl, more a uncertain, warning one. I tell the guy to ignore Liam and he shouldn't do anything. The guy does so and Liam just follows him sniffing the air/his legs. The neighbor then stops and we talk, while Liam sits at my side releasing a low grumble every now and then. I tell him how Liams been tormented by men, and that he's not very socialized. He replies with its good that liams protective, and that he's grown up with and owned mean dogs before.

We talk for a few minutes, all the while ignoring Liam and finally before the guy leaves Liam walks up to be pet.

I'm so proud he didn't go after the guy! big grin
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 8:46am PST 
The fellow sounds like he did a rather nice job of handling this situation. Oh, Liam did well too wink
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 1:24pm PST 
Sounds like Liam is learning some good ol' impulse control! And good for the guy for LISTENING to you(as people often don't) and ignoring Liam. I'm sure that made Liam far more comfortable with his presence in comparison to what he's normally used to. The reaction was improvement and progress and I hope you continue to see that!
[notify]