GO!

Others (trainers) correcting your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 11:30am PST 
I agree with Noah's statement that I find it encouraging for a trainer to get the proper behaviors out of my dogs when giving them a signal. Of course, they are not using any harsh aversives, but it also shows me that there is hope when I am beyond frustrated. It's important though, for the instructor to "correct" you the "trainee" with and without your dog.
[notify]
Cyril

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 11:22am PST 
There is a difference in a trainer demonstrating something with your dog and taking them to do the training and correct your dog.

When I used to teach horse riding I would often get on someone's horse to demonstrate something but never corrected the horse. It helped the owner and the other clients see something being done on a horse that hadn't done it before.

When in a class situation owners are not as relaxed as they are at home, this can confuse the dog so they don't respond as they should, a trainer is more relaxed so get a better response from the dog. Everyone handles and interacts with a dog differently, for anyone other than the owner to correct the dog will just confuse him making him learn take a lot longer.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 12:27pm PST 
Cyril, I didn't quite understand this: "Everyone handles and interacts with a dog differently, for anyone other than the owner to correct the dog will just confuse him making him learn take a lot longer."

Why would this confuse the dog? thinking If the dog is properly handled by the instructor and the owner repeats the proper handling after seeing how it is supposed to be done, why would it confuse the dog so much. My dogs don't get confused even though my bf handles them COMPLETELY wrong, letting them jump all over him at the door and lurch and pull when they walk. They don't do that for me.
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 5:14pm PST 
My work environment is unique in that a lot of people interact with my dogs in a day. Thankfully they all know me and my rules (and how to break them without messing up the work I've done) and are happy to enforce. In that environment people are allowed to correct but I know it will be fair and deserved.

Now the other day someone corrected Zephyr who I was working on her "Indoor voice" trick (Like a muffled bark. It's amusing.) and she broke and barked. It wasn't an environment where it would be a problem or even shrugged at (Large street fair type thing and we were well away from the music) but this man made it an issue and got the "Yeah whatever" look from my dog and myself.

In short, randoms, no. People I know and trust? Sure with the addendum that I won't let them do something to my dog I wouldn't do e.g. I won't let someone *show me* how to force fetch on my dog. It's not something I need her to do so we;re cool with a shaped retrieve.
[notify]
Cyril

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 7:20am PST 
###Cyril, I didn't quite understand this: "Everyone handles and interacts with a dog differently, for anyone other than the owner to correct the dog will just confuse him making him learn take a lot longer."

Why would this confuse the dog? If the dog is properly handled by the instructor and the owner repeats the proper handling after seeing how it is supposed to be done, why would it confuse the dog so much. My dogs don't get confused even though my bf handles them COMPLETELY wrong, letting them jump all over him at the door and lurch and pull when they walk. They don't do that for me.###

I am talking about training a dog, if someone takes your dog to teach him to do something, when the dog doesn’t do what they want they correct the dog. These days many people don’t physically correct dogs so that would confused the dog. If the owner did normally correct the dog the correction would be different because nobody does things the same, that can confuse a dog. We know how important being consistent is so 2 people training a dog the dog will take a lot longer to learn. I used to have 2 dogs, both my husband and I took them to training classes but didn’t bother which dog we were working worth, they took longer to understand what we were asking them to do, both were quick learners and became very obedient dogs.

Your dogs are not being trained by your bf, he is handling them, they will have him well sussed out and know what they can get away with, he will be consistent with what he does when he is interacting with them. You trained your dogs and were consistent with the training, they know they can’t get away with things with you as they can with your bf.

Does that make sense?

How do you get the tialic?
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 8:38am PST 
Yes, Cyril. I wasn't talking about the trainer "physically" correcting the dog, just correcting the dog.

The italics are < i > to turn on and < / i > to turn off
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3