GO!

Others (trainers) correcting your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Skarlet

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:45pm PST 
Does your trainer work with your dog at all or just teach you? Does he/she ever correct your dog?

When would that be okay or not okay in your opinion?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:04pm PST 
No one touches my dogs unless they have my expressed consent beforehand.

And I do not give my consent to others to correct my dogs. Even my trainers.
[notify]
Cyril

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 6:23am PST 
Trainers are not tre to train or correct anyone's dog, they are there to teach the owners how to train their own dogs. A trainer who attempted to correct any of my dogs wouldn't want to do it again, they would be told very clearly in very good English.laugh out loud

I am a horse riding instructor, I see my clients once every week or 2, what good am I as a teacher if the horse is only trained when I am there. It is my job to teach the owner how to train their own horse, if I don't do that I am not worth having the qualification to teach horse riding, it is the same with dog trainers.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 6:44am PST 
I used to see a behaviourist with Missy who worked in a large training group with other trainers. She'd often get the head trainer involved in our training sessions and he DID correct and manage Missy quite a few times. At the time i wasn't particularly uncomfortable with this set up and Missy never seemed particularly bothered by it either. He was quite "old school" and was using a bottle full of stones thrown down beside Missy to interrupt her aggressive displays. He only did this a few times mind you, the rest of the time he walked her about the club, telling her "NO" when she started up and then going a different direction etc. But, i also got advice from some of the other trainers that i didn't like, such as "alpha rolling" her etc. Then, i started bringing Ty along to work to our CGC and it all went pear shaped really. Ty hated the environment, the shouting, the other dogs barking, the pushy nature of the trainers ( they once physically tried to push him up some agility equipment until i told them enough was enough ) 2 weeks before taking our CGC he completely shut down, refusing food, ignoring commands, staring off into space, whining etc. The CGC trainer was forcing him into the down command and holding him there when he tried to get up. Thankfully both i and the behaviourist told her to let him up right away as he was very uncomfortable, but the damage was done frown We left the club and Ty never got his CGC despite it being something we could have easily achieved together.

Now i know better i'll never put either of my two in a situation like that again. Looking back i saw alot of things i didn't like or wasn't comfortable with but thinking they knew better i shut up and played dumb. I won't make that mistake again.
[notify]
Cyril

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 6:54am PST 
###Now i know better i'll never put either of my two in a situation like that again. Looking back i saw alot of things i didn't like or wasn't comfortable with but thinking they knew better i shut up and played dumb. I won't make that mistake again.###

Don't blame yourself, you were paying people who were supposed to know better, hug

Have you managed to turn Ti back again? Yes it is possible with some dogs if you have the right help.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 7:49am PST 
Agree that the role of the instructor is to train the human side of the partnership. There are occasions where I have allowed the instructor to demo something with Charka... with permission. Even that is generally a mediocre to bad idea. I want Charks focused on me and the instructor invisible wink

The correction side? Not doing anything at the moment that uses correction (agility, ob and dock jumping). Agility and jumping don't use corrections, and, by choice, our obedience classes/training are over in positive-only. Sooo... instructor correcting pup? We'd be out of there in a flash laugh out loud
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 9:34am PST 
Cyril, thanks. I looked into another club about a year ago but they don't do CGC classes which is basically all i wanted to do with Ty. He doesn't really need the obedience side of things.

Edited by author Fri Oct 19, '12 9:35am PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:32am PST 
depends what you're training in/for. my trainers teach both me and my dogs. and sometimes in some instances they will also handle my dog since I'm somewhat of a newbie and they can do it better. and sure, sometimes corrections are issued.

Edited by author Fri Oct 19, '12 10:34am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 1:20pm PST 
I'm with most of the other posters.

The trainer is there to show me how to do it, and how to train my dog. Not to train my dog and have me watch. Quite frankly, if anyone corrected any of my dogs for any reason outside of my permission(even my own fiance won't touch Charlie), I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

My dog doesn't handle being handled with 'corrections'. He can handle a leash pop, yes. He cannot handle being alpha rolled, forced to do things, or being scruffed, grabbed harshly, etc. He shuts down completely if someone tries. Ria is the same way. Both can handle children handling them, but if someone else were to try to alpha roll my dogs, or scruff them, etc, they would both shut down.

Nobody handles my dogs, but me.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 2:51pm PST 
Since my girl can not even handle another dog being corrected strongly I do not allow others to handle. It happened once during practicing sit stays and we lost our stays for months.

They can say quiet or cut it out in a loud voice but no touching.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3