GO!

When does the bratty teenager stage start?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moe Jr.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:46am PST 
Moe is almost 10 months old. He's an awesome dog, probably the funniest dog I've ever owned/met and has a hilarious personality. He loves people, dogs even more, and he's great off leash and comes when called.

I've read posts about dogs going through a bratty teenager stage where all the good stuff went out the window and the dog turned into a stubborn uncontrollable teenager.

I love the fact that he can be off leash all the time and he comes back, stays close by, and doesn't even run up to people in the park. I'd say he's earned my 100% trust when out without a leash which is something none of my other dogs have earned.

He's also part pit and he LOOOVVVEES other dogs, but I'm wondering if this will change as he gets older. At the dog park he gets along with everyone, and even fell in love with a stray dog we took in. He's never shown any type of aggression and is just dopey happy go-lucky and even submissive.

But I've also heard with pit and pit mixes, that once they hit a certain age, they became less tolerant, and aggressive with other dogs, especially dogs of the same gender no matter how good they were socialized.

Is his bratty teenager stage going to come soon, and is all this going to fly out the window? Including his love for other dogs?

Any info/experiences would be appreciated thank you.
[notify]
Charley - R.I.P my- Handsome boy

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 12:04pm PST 
I can't speak for other pits, but Charley NEVER had a problem with other dogs. He loved every dog he met, especially the min pinch that lived across the street. My beagle was the one who had the problem with other dogs on her turf.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 4:48pm PST 
Koby started at about 9 months and is still in that stage. I'm waiting for it to end.shrug

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 4:49pm PST

[notify]

Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 8:44pm PST 
It's on it's way and when you least expect it. laugh out loud Hormones kick in later with some mixes. The key to having your dog behave is just be consistent in your expectations of it. React happily to good behaviors and keep an eye out for the times he may push his limits. He's good now and may continue to behave, but don't get lazy in what you expect of him. Right now, enjoy his loveability and be prepared for when the hormones kick in. wink
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 6:56pm PST 
Zoey is almost 8 months and has shown us some of her teenage nonsense. Like if shes on leash and doesnt like the direction your going she'll just plop down (seriously) and refuse to be moved...

I have had a pitmix (pit/lab) and he was awesome, we had a little cocker/begal mix too and they got along great. But once my pit/lab got around 2 he started getting aggressive with strangers. One time I was in the shower and my landlord opened the front door for some silly reason and he went after her. And he was an extremely well socialized dog. Always around people and my son. I think he was more bark than bite. And he only showed this behavior if he was "contained" like in the house or in the car. On leash on off he was everyones best friend. But I also have a friend that has a pure pitt, and that dog gets along with everyone and every dog. Has never had any issues, as long as he's not around cats haha. I think it has alot to do with their breeding
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 4:55am PST 
Eleven months up to maybe two and a half years. There are some legitimate unrelated issues going on besides that are frustrating, but a lot of it is the bratty teenager stage. He's a very easy to handle dog, but there are some days where I almost just want to get him neutered to take the edge off. I know that might sound selfish, but, well, just being honest.

I haven't, and won't, but I'm reasonably certain he'd be a bit easier to handle. We're over the worst of it though, and I made it through that without losing my mind, so I'm willing to deal with the rest of it as it tapers out. 2.5 years was where I started noticing a real difference, a more mature mind.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 8:14am PST 
Squ'mey started being a butt around 14 months or so...he is only now *settling down. He still has issues with random dogs. But daily training & reinforcing obedience goes a long way toward saving my sanity & I am seeing a great dog coming out the other side.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 9:14am PST 
Maggie lost her brain at 18 months...but I am sure it also had to do with her health issues and the fact that she was being cooped up around that time.

My new girl, Tika, occasionally gets "puppy brain" - but I just train through it. She had a few moments of "I forgot" around 8 months, but we managed it. So far at almost 16 months she is not being a bratty teenager...but then again she is still due for her first heat - I am sure there will be something to pop up around that time lol! I guess that is the one thing I like about girl dogs - their body tells you when they are maturing (unlike with boys where there are no physical signs).

I did have one foster that went into his bratty teenage stage from 10 months and just turned 4 and it sounds like he finally is coming out of it.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 9:24am PST 
Depends. Some dogs don't really go through a noticeable phase like that. It's also predictable by breed.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:15pm PST 
Nix is 17 months old now, and started being a turd... oh, I think something over 2 months ago. I mean, he's not terrible, but definitely a difference from how he used to act.

He's now trying to figure out what he can and can't get away with, and he's a little more easily distracted by random things that didn't phase him before.

But the biggest thing I've noticed in only the last couple of weeks is he's become less tolerant of other dogs acting rude. He's still mostly ok with well-mannered dogs, but he won't tolerate rude behavior, like barking, lunging, crowding, etc. anymore. If he perceives another dog to be acting ridiculous, he now feels the need to correct them, whereas he didn't before... Definitely has a bit of an ego these days, which is something we're working on to make sure he doesn't turn in to a bully himself.

If we visited dog parks (we never do) I could see Nix being that dog who runs around being the fun police and breaking up any rowdy behavior that he deems inappropriate.

Edited by author Fri Oct 19, '12 10:21pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2