GO!

Approach-First-Ask-Later(If Ever) People and Kids.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 34)  
1  2  3  4  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 12:25pm PST 
There are a lot of children in my neighborhood. If I go a certain route on my walks they will be around and they will want to pet Milton. Thankfully almost every child polity asks. I thank them for asking to reinforce this. It's more likely to be adults that don't ask. Sometimes the neighborhood kids swarm me and I kinda fear they are making Milton nervous. I normally avoid the children. They are not in the woods.

I looked on our animal control website and they do programs in the schools here about pets and animal safety. I think it's working because pretty much all the children ask me. It kind of bugs me they are so friendly because there are really bad people out there who want to harm people's children.

To be fair my dog makes it obvious he is friendly. Sometimes he even whines at complete strangers to get their attention. He walks around wagging his tail and bouncing around. He acts excited if someone just looks at him. So I don't say anything to people who pet him with out asking.

People should always ask before petting any dog, even little cute ones who act so freakin friendly. Some dogs are nervous around strangers or may have little experience. I will pet the ones who are unattended. I can't resist them. I let them smell me before I touch them to see how they react.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 1:08pm PST 
In general, kids around here have no "dog manners" and I have made a habit out of stepping in front and putting my hand in a "stop" signal whenever noisy kids come running towards us. I really wish parents would watch their kids and teach them not to go running up to strange dogs... naughty
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:42pm PST 
Guy approaches talking loudly and attempts to pet my obviously frightened dog who is now hiding behind me. "What are you trying to do, get yourself bit?" I say to the guy, who responds angrily: "If your dog is aggressive, then why is he out in public where he can hurt someone?" To which I reply: "Oh, I wasn't talking about the dog." Then flash him a toothy grin and point to the hat that says, surrounded by shark teeth: "I bite."

big laughbig laugh@ Conker! Love it!

It seems like most kids here do ask whereas a lot of adults seem to be dog "over-confident" like the rules don't apply to them anymore.

Course my dog isn't really a good test case because if anyone looks at her, she is making schmoozy faces and wagging her whole body at them like they're her new best friend--she's pretty obvious . . . .laugh out loud
[notify]

Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:50pm PST 
I've done the "walk briskly away from kids who don't take the hint" too. LOL.

I think it's just human nature to pet over a dog's head. Their head is at the perfect level for us to just reach out and touch. It takes more effort to go under the chin. Especially if the person is really tall or the dog really short! There are also some dogs who are relatively tolerant of this type of petting (though I doubt any dog really enjoys it).

Now that Risa is a bit less wary of people, I think it's funny when she walks off if they try and pet over her head. She isn't even that keen on me doing it and will usually turn away if I attempt it. Forget letting strangers do it. Ris met a new person the other day when we went to visit my grandma. My grandma could pet Risa on the head (sort of anyway) but, as soon as the new person reached out, Risa just walked right away. "If you're going to be rude, I'm not going to say hello!" big grin
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 34)  
1  2  3  4