GO!

Freaked out by a fly

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 12:29pm PST 
No. Lucille is a consumate flying insect hunter. I actually have to call her off of hunting bees and wasps. Any moth in her range is a goner and she's gotten quite a bit of extra protein in her diet from them so far this year.

She will literally stalk a moth in the house all night until she vanquishes it. So I sort of have the opposite problem. smile

This might be a random incident for Moose, but like Czarks suggested, I'd have a plan to work on it with him if it seems to distress him in the future. He might be going through a bit of a fear period, he's still a young fella (especially for a slower-to-mature giant breed)
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:40pm PST 
I figure Moose is still in his fear period. If another giant fly makes its way into the house, I'll grab the treat bag and work on it, but flies that size don't come into the house all that oftern.

He's been buzzed by honey bees and it doesn't seem to bother him. I think the volume and the inability to see what was causing the sound was the issue.
I wish I could post the photo I took of him cowering in his crate.

The first time he "met" honey bees was kind of funny. He stepped into a bed of flowering plants that was buzzing with activity from the bees. The low collective hum of the bees made him stop, cock his head and try and figure out why his feet were buzzing.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2