GO!

Freaked out by a fly

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 9:43pm PST 
Are your dogs freaked out by bugs or sounds of bugs?

This evening Moose absolutely flipped out over the buzzing sound coming from a rather large house fly.

At the first, faint sound of it, he started pacing the living room as I watched t.v. Then he went into his crate and once in there he heard the buzzing again and bolted for the back of the house.
He came back in to the living room and back into his crate, then out, then paced. I flushed the fly out thinking he was trying to find it and wanted to chase it, but the extra buzzing it produced sent Moose into more panic mode.
He again went into his crate, sat down and had the most pathetic look on his face. I took a picture of it (while laughing hysterically) and would post it, but Photobucket and I aren't getting along.
Once I realized that he was truly freaking out, I killed the fly. Although Moose was in the back of the house when I did it, trying his best to get as far away from it as possible.
He then came trotting back into the living room and sat down at the front door which is my cue that he needs to go out.
I took him outside to go potty and I couldn't believe that he DID NOT want to come back inside. It took a few minutes of coaxing with treats to even get him onto the front porch.

So, once inside I could see that he was still uneasy. And sure enough, I must not have killed the fly enough, because a very quick, faint buzz came from inside the lamp (an upside down style lamp shade is where the fly was when I kind of swatted it) and he freaked out again.
A few mintues after that I had to get something out of my truck and as I was opening the front door, Moose bolted for the door, ears back and looking over his shoulder as if the boogey man was coming. Broke my heart.
After I came back inside, he sat at the front door again and I took him out. Well, this time he definitely didn't want to come back in. I had visions of him sleeping in my SUV.
I finally coaxed him up onto the porch but couldn't get him to come in this time. So, I kind of pushed him inside. He immediately headed for the back of the house.
I guess he heard something just now because he just ran to the back of the house with his ears back. Poor baby. I have the feeling that I'm going to have a very large dog sleeping on top of me tonight.

This happened a little bit last week when a large fly was in the house, but I didn't piece it together. I thought maybe we were going to be having an earthquake or that he didn't feel well because of all his pacing.

Anyone ever have a dog react so intensely to a bug? Or minor sound?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 1:34am PST 
Mine focuses and freaks so badly over insects I had to take all the hooks out of the roof as they were driving him over threshold to the point of barking, frothing hysteria. He will just focus on them for hours. God forbid a fly comes in, he HAS to have it. He's nuts.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 10:02am PST 
Turner was allergic to bee stings. He got stung 2x's and we ended up at the vets office both times. He had hives all over and his eyes shut. So if he heard anything buzzing he would be upset and worried. Rightfully so. Luckily Grunt and Darcy aren't too bad. They just flatten their ears and get out of the way...way to go
[notify]

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 1:07pm PST 
Has he ever been stung by a bug? thinking Maybe he associates the noise with pain or the noise is a certain pitch he doesn't like?
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:45pm PST 
Poor Moose! hug He needs Gus to come visit, because she is an excellent killer of flies! My problem is keeping her from knocking things down to get to them. shock
[notify]
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:39pm PST 
Poor Moose. Willie used to be extremely upset when there was a fly buzzing around. He would run to me like the boogey man was going to get him. When he was a puppy he ran up to a moose in our yard and barked. Thankfully, the moose didn't think he was a threat and ignored him. He was not afraid of a 1000 lb moose but he was afraid of flies. Willie finally discovered when he was five that he could kill one, now he is the "FLY HUNTER".

Hopefully, Moose will grow out of this.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 7:30am PST 
You might be able to work on this if you have the interest... basically, first you approach the evil fly with moose in tow. Reward for anything short of full retreat. You work up to this toward 'let's explore together'. From there you go to co-exploration, dog slightly ahead... up you 'Check it out, Moose. I'm right behind you.'

Our environmental cause-for-concern is storm drains. Charks has seen raccoons come out of them... so any drain needs very careful evaluation smile
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 10:02am PST 
Lily is weird if there a fly happens to end up in the house. She runs around like it's chasing her then she hides. Recently, she has started trying to catch flies in the house but she will still get freaked out and run away from it and hide. Scruffy on the other hand will always try to catch the flies.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 12:11pm PST 
Poor baby! Those flies do have beady litle eyes!!

Try to condition him to them as has been mentioned or just do not react too much. There is a good chance he will out grow it.

Harley was scared of cats. The first one he ever met was sitting on a step, ignoring him. I had a 40lb pup in my arms! At 3, he is now curious and not scared. Nothing I did.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 12:20pm PST 
Savannah used to become very disturbed at...teaspoons. When I would stir the morning coffee it would send her into fits. It got to the point that she would start barking as soon as I touched the coffee cup.

She doesn't do it anymore. Because she has trained me to walk her BEFORE I have coffee.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2