GO!

Behavior during "Heat"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 7:24pm PST 
Ok, I've never actually owned (in my adult life) a female dog let alone one in "heat". I've always had Male dogs. So Ms Zoey is expericing her first "heat" and I've noticed that shes been actting really weird. When I got up this morning she actted very fearful and I wasnt doing anything but walking around. She would dart under stuff, slink away, etc. Just not acting her usual happy go lucky self. Just wondering if it has anything to do with what she's going through right now? or what. Thank you for any input!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 8:37pm PST 
I have owned mstly female dogs,Kai in fact is our first male. I did notice although their reactins were as different as my girls were they all exhibited odd behaviors during their heat cycle,anything from being a bit more fearful and tending to stay close and be clingy for security to even moodyness and a bit of snippyness or intolerance for things that normally would be ignored. I wouldn't be overly concerned and just try to keep things as normal as possible as far as routines and how you respond to her unless she begins to become so fearful or upset that she could hurt herself or someone else,in that case I would consult the vet to see if there was something you could give her to help her relax and be less stressed,you could also try one of those herbal calming medications available at the pet store,a calming diffuser for her collar,or some other technique to help her with the stress,I have noticed through the years that often during their first heat they seem to be a bit confused by what is happening but as they mature a bit more they respond less and less. I am assuming since she is a large breed you are waiting for a more appropriate age to have her spayed or perhaps have plans of breeding later,either way with our large breed girls we waited until between the ages of two and three before having them spayed to help prevent possible health issues. Hope this information is of some hel or at least a little reassurance that her odd behavior is pretty normal.wishesmeditate
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:59pm PST 
oh yes, thank you for responding! She has settled down a bit with the fearfulness and seems to be keeping nice and clean. We are planning on getting her spayed in the future, she's an inside dog never left outside so we are not in such a hurry to do it. She still isnt "palyful" or anything but I'm not expecting her to be.. again thank you for the advice
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 7:03pm PST 
You are very welcome. I know how scary and odd that first heat can be if you have never experienced it before. Both of My Akita girls,Mattie and Mika always kept themselves very clean. My GSD was pretty good,and my cocker excellent. So in general they tend to be very tidy about it,the only time we had an issue is we always allowed our dogs to sleep with us and I simply kept an old comforter for the bottom half of the bed to keep from damaging our regular linens. Aside from the cocker,not one would leave the doggy panties on or in place.wishes
[notify]