GO!

How do you feel about invisible fences?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 4:26pm PST 
My neighbor has one and his dogs regularly run through it and cross the busy street we live on. One day they will get hit by a car. We have way too many wild animals to temp a dog to run through it chasing them. I personally would not use one.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 4:26pm PST 
My neighbor has one and his dogs regularly run through it and cross the busy street we live on. One day they will get hit by a car. We have way too many wild animals to temp a dog to run through it chasing them. I personally would not use one.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 10:49pm PST 
Personally? No thanks. I would sooner walk my dog outside on a leash, every hour(and have done so over the past several years when I haven't had fences), than use an electric fence. Too many dogs and owners having issues with them. I get that it's a tool and that there's training that needs to be done with it, but let's face it, how many people that actually use it - bothered with the training and didn't just want a quick fix? Certainly not as many that followed the instructions and did the training. I simply won't use one and don't feel there is ever a reason to 'shock' my dogs. Regardless of the whys. There's other things I can use instead. Like a leash. And my own feet. (Not to bash anyone that uses them of course!)
[notify]

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 7:07am PST 
Several of our neighbors have them (off the top of my head; a lab, 2 boxers, and a bichon). In all cases the dogs are well trained... beyond just the fence. The 'fences' seem to work quite well. By now, of course, Charks is also trained not to break their boundaries when we walk. Amazing and amusing... the bichon barks and bounces on her side of the boundary; the Shepherd walks by on the sidewalk actively holding her line and ignoring the small dog...

For the bigger dogs, same situation but they more calmly watch as Charka goes by and she's learned/been trained to respect their space. It does really work like an invisible fence... on both sides laugh out loud

I will point out that a physical fence serves a couple purposes. It keeps the dog in (and my feeling is that the invisibles can do this well). It also keeps people and other dogs out. It protects the dog. Invisibles do not do anything on that side of the equation.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 7:18am PST 
Generally speaking, I don't favor them. I am pretty sure that Big Savvy would just feel it as an inconvenience, but not something to actually stop her.

Once I saw her go into a horse field and she brushed the electric fence...barely jumped when it sparked her.

The guy across the street has one for his Dobie, and it seems to work as far as containment. But the Dobie is a nervous wreck. And one of my sister's dogs runs right through theirs - leading to us having to choke down our laughter when Bro-In-Law retrieved the dog, and forgot to turn the fence off. HE jumped three feet in the air.

The capper is this. Today's local newspaper had an article about a woman whose little dog was snatched out of the electric fenced front yard by a loose dog. By the time the witness (a guy mowing lawns) could do anything...it was too late.
[notify]
Cider- Doughnut- Shenanigans

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:38pm PST 
Personally I am not a fan. Aside from the obvious physical injuries, they can also cause unseen emotional trauma. I once knew a dog that was a nervous wreck in her own yard. She would also bark and nip at any person trying to leave the house. After extensive work with a behaviorist it all came down to the invisible fence, going out side meant terrible things to this dog so she was terrified to go outside and tried to warn anyone who wanted to leave that outside was unsafe. Thankfully with counter conditioning and discontinued use of the fence they managed to get her passed her fear, but it's sad to think she spent any amount of time feeling like a terrified prisoner in her house.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2