GO!

Dog won't sleep at night?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 9:58am PST 
Hi there! Leia is fairly new to our family, and has been the perfect dog for us and our lifestyle - except for one thing. No matter how much exercise she gets during the day, she invariably is completely awake, whining and pawing at her crate to go out by 4:30 or 5:00 AM every single morning (sometimes earlier).

I've been taking her for 2-3 solid 1 hour walks a day, plus a bit of play on a long line at the park. She seems totally fine and well exercised during the day; she loves sleeping on the couch next to me while I go about my business. Even on the long line, I can only entice her to run around with me or chase a ball for a few minutes before she loses interest and just wants to lay on the grass. It's only at night that she starts bursting with energy.

My first instinct was to start more training to work her mind, but she's mostly just not interested. If she's comfortable on the couch, she won't be tempted off to train even by peanut butter (well known as the doggy equivalent of crack). Does anyone have ideas about how we can tire her out more, or get her to sleep through the night? Thanks so much for your help.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 10:03am PST 
Is she pawing at the crate because she needs to use the yard, or because she is awake and ready to start her day?

I'd be tempted to take her out to potty when she wakes you up, and then straight back in to the crate for a few more hours sleep.

Also, if she's pawing and carrying on because she's ready to start her day, what happens if you ignore her until she's quiet and you're ready to get up?
[notify]
Leia

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 10:36am PST 
As far as I can tell, she's carrying on because she's just ready to be up - any bathroom use while outside is coincidental. We've tried ignoring her to see if she'll give up and go back to sleep, but so far we haven't been able to out-wait her. She's perfectly happy to go on for a half hour or more, hahaha. Tonight I'll try taking her out to potty, then back to her crate - if it gets her to be quiet for even another two hours, I'll consider it a major success. Thanks, Rexy!

Any ideas on whether getting her more mental or physical exercise would help?
[notify]

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 3:39pm PST 
You may not need more exercise, but rather do what you're doing at a different time.

Kato will run 10 miles in the morning, and be bat crazy after an afternoon nap the same day!

But exercise him before bed or right at sundown, and he sleeps through the night.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 9:39pm PST 
I ignore crate pawing and crying unless the dog needs to go out.
Anywho, if I want my Shiba to sleep all night, I exercise him in the evening/after dark. Afternoon doesn't work, I can take him for a 15 mile hike from 3-6 but he's ready to go another 15 at bed time (which is about 3 in the morning). So he gets a good long walk every night about an hour before bed. Works every time.
[notify]
Leia

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 11:41am PST 
An update!

So, we took a few of your suggestions, mainly that we change the time of day we exercise her. It really does make a difference - she sleeps maybe an hour later if we get her evening exercise at nine or ten than if we exercise her at seven or eight. Also, something we took a chance on yesterday: a dog bed!

We were worried that she would wander about all night if she wasn't crated, but we decided to give it a try on a hunch. We got her a cushy dog bed to put next to ours, and surprise, she slept almost all night long, with minimal fussing! Apparently all she really wanted was to be nearer to us at night than her crate allowed (it's in the room, but on the opposite wall). This makes sense, since she's such a little velcro girl. She's a little large to allow directly on our bed, so this makes a good compromise, and she seems to love it. Thanks for all your help, everyone smile
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 8:49pm PST 
The bed thing is interesting. i recently had a foster like this. Up baying his head off when he was crated before sunrise. But let him sleep on the couch? Suddenly he's Mr. Lazypants.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 11:11pm PST 
way to go Glad to hear that everything is going so well!
[notify]