GO!

Why?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 1:00pm PST 
Shadow has a stuffed fleece lamb that she sleeps with. She carts it around, puts it in her dish, lays on it and once or twice has thrown it in the toilet. But she never, ever chews it. She has had it for months.
Sabi kept stealing it and upsetting her so I picked up another one for Sabs. Exactly the same.
Shadow ripped it to pieces as soon as she found it. Why? Shadow does not chew things. She just isn't like that. She hasn't chewed anything since she was a few months old. I don't care, it's a dog toy. I was just curious.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 1:05pm PST 
Ooh. good question. I had a little doxie once who had a teddy bear and he carried it around like that. Sometimes he would lay down on the sofa for a nap and you could just see him remember it and jump down to find his teddy bear and bring it back with him.

I don't know why the pup would destroy the toy...I could see her knowing it was not HER toy, but it would seem like she would just ignore it then.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 5:08pm PST 
Jax used to do the same thing. I swear it's because she didn't want Kali to have a toy.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 6:25pm PST 
Kai does that as well,we always make sure to bring home 2 identical toys.Mika likes hers for the first day,then wants nothing more to do with it,Kai will if he likes his toy for some reason leave it intact but destroy Mika's we just shrug it off as him thinking that all of the stuffies are his,even when they aren't yet my grandkids also have stuffies here for when they sleep over and even if left in Kai's reach he will not touch them. Sibling rivalry?
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 6:20am PST 
I was expecting her to steal it. I guess it's something like sibling rivalry, although I am surprised she had the guts to steal Sabs toy. I was just curious. Thanks for the input.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 5:54am PST 
I had a little handmade stuffed duck on my coffee table for years. I also had TWO male labs. One (Charlie) was a popular stud, the other (Murphy), was only used occasionally.
One day I took Murphy out for a breeding and left Charlie in the house. Murphy did his thing and came back inside. Charlie walked over, smelled Murphy, and went right over to the stuffed duck and bit off its head and spit it out on the floor. That was it, never looked at that duck again!
[notify]