GO!

16 Things You Should Stop Doing............

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:54pm PST 
Like it overall, but I think #6 (Stop caring about labels) and #11 (Stop your urge to own) contradicted each other somewhat. Labels don't matter but calling yourself a dog owner automatically means you view your dog as nothing more than property? I am 100% my dog's owner but I also think of him as a partner, not a slave. "The ownership of living beings is slavery; and thankfully slavery was abolished" rings much too close to PETA's mantra for my taste.

"7. Stop caring about what others think—live your life

You spend very little time with most of the people you meet, significantly more with family and close friends, but you live your whole life with yourself. So, why care about what other people think about your ability as a dog owner or your dog’s behavior, when you probably won’t see them again or will only ever see them sporadically? If they like you and your dog, fine. If they don’t, it’s really not your problem."

That one hit home for me. It does really bother me when someone who only gets a glimpse of my dog thinks he's poorly behaved and untrained based on the brief time they see him for. I really shouldn't care since more often than not, I don't even know them and will never see them again. And even if it is a friend or family member, what they think about my dog really doesn't matter.

Edited by author Thu Oct 4, '12 8:57pm PST

[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 10:13pm PST 
Wow, many of these are applicable in lots of different contexts, including human relationships. Very interesting.

Like Sanka and Onyx, though, I have to say I have no issue with being my dog's owner. I am her partner in many things (the intangible and experience-based things), but when it comes down to practical matters like what she eats, where she lives, when she leaves the house, I make those decisions because I am the owner. Obviously I think about her when I make those decisions, but I'm still the one who runs the aspects of her life that she can't...which is basically anything that interacts with broader human society.

I also disagree that "The ownership of living beings is slavery." The ownership of humans is slavery, and if I'm not going to "make [my dog] a substitute for a human," then I'm not going to think of my dog as a slave just because I bought her for money and now ask her to perform bizarre behaviors according to my whims (OK, maybe they're onto something there...I just don't think she or I mind it, is all laugh out loud).

I mean, I get the sentiment. In general it's good not to have a dictatorial/I'm the boss so you do what I say kind of relationship with your dog. I think it's more enriching to collaborate. But I don't think that's incompatible with the idea of ownership when it comes to non-human animals.

Edited by author Thu Oct 4, '12 10:16pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 12:35am PST 
If Jackson ever got lost and I had to collect him up from the shelter, I can't really picture myself saying 'hi, I'm Jackson's life partner, I'm here to pick him up.' laugh out loud They might think I'm nuts and not give him back, lol.
[notify]

Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 3:29pm PST 
laugh out loud LOL, Jackson! There could be a funny white jacket in your future if you use that approach.

The word owner strikes a nerve, eh? Most of us did pay for our dogs, which could make them property. When you do a civil suit over a dog, the judgement usually goes to the monetary value of your dog, not the emotional value. thinking

If we get the dog from rescue or a shelter, we would be called adopters.

In this household, I am afraid I would be titled The Landlord, The Slave, The Chef, The Caregiver, The Chauffeur, The Nanny, The Housekeeper, The Aerobics Instructor, The Manners Police, The Teacher........the list goes on & on. It's just semantics; give yourself whatever title you feel suits your relationship with your dog.

#7 Stop Caring About What Others Think. When I had Dahlia in my life, I would warn them that h3ll would freeze over before she would deign to greet them if she didn't know them well. I probably should not have wasted so much time telling them The Diva wasn't interested in charming the world. She was cantankerous & disliked children, but added much depth into my life.

Rusty is extremely cute & charismatic, loves children, loves other dogs, but is not so sure about adults. I bite my tongue about saying he is shy and possibly abused in his past life. To excuse his reluctance to strangers almost sets him up for failure. If he greets you; Great! If he doesn't; Oh well, maybe next time. I want people to make their judgement about him based on how he acts, whether it's good or bad. I find not warning folks about him takes the pressure off both of us.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 4:12pm PST 
I *OWN* my dog, and I'm QUITE happy that things are still considered that way from a legal perspective. It means I'm completely in charge of his well-being and decisions related to it.

Comparing the ownership of an animal to the ownership of human beings is absolutely disgusting. I don't know how anyone, short of PETA, can sink low enough to try and fly that one by.

Owning a dog does not imply that you treat them like a piece of furniture and I'm rather appalled anyone would consider that it does.

“A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such” - John Holmes

There's the 17th thing people need to stop doing. Pretending dogs are human. That article is littered with that problem throughout. They aren't human, it's an insult to describe them such, and you are going to have a _seriously_ messed up dog if you approach them as though they are. They're dogs. And I'm quite happy that they are dogs, because I really don't care much for people. Number 13 sort of touched on that, but I have a feeling the author is completely clueless as to how many times he's violating his own "stop doing ___" in his own article.

Edited by author Fri Oct 5, '12 4:17pm PST

[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:04pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:24pm PST 
O.k. just to be the contrarian here, did anyone else hit the links which led to cheesy songs to illustrate his point?

I guess that comes under the heading "stop caring what other people think"laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 11:33pm PST 
laugh out loud I didn't love the article enough to put myself through the full experience and torture myself with the clips.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2