GO!

Chewy met a deaf dog.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 3:13pm PST 
Today in the park a Catahoula Leopard Dog came running over to us, happy as can be.

Him and Chewy seemed to like each other, after talking to the owner I came to know he's actually deaf, which is why the dog didn't respond when his owners started calling him.

He was a very neat happy dog and played well with all the other dogs in the park.

I'm just curious, do you think Chewy could sense this dog was deaf? or different? Or was it just another dog to him?
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 6:50pm PST 
I own a mostly deaf sheltie. My other dogs do not seem to notice he is different. However, I have seen other dogs definitely notice a dog they live with is different. I have never had a dog meet Jericho, play with him and in the short time span of only a few hours notice he is different.

I do believe with time a sensitive dog can tell another dog is deaf, but I also don't think it is extremely common.

As far as Jericho himself, he is different from other dogs and has developed some amazing coping behaviors. He is a brilliant boy, and I love him very much.

BTW, anyone wondering how to train a deaf dog can read this article I wrote on the topic. It has some good tips. smile

http://agilitymach.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Train-a-Deaf-Dog-Ba sic-Obedience-Tips-for-Dogs-Who-Cant-Hear
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 5:19am PST 
Rigby met a deaf 9 puppy while she was in obedience class.
I've never seen her get along so well with another dog.

Secretly, I think they got along so well because the deaf pup couldn't hear Rig's bizarre bark and therefore wasn't making fun of her shhlaugh out loud
[notify]