GO!

Canine Behavior Explanations

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 3:30pm PST 
I know, I don't see mounting or humping behavior on the chart either, unless it falls under intrusive behavior. Humping can be considered anything from a displacement behavior, to overexcitement, to assertive behavior, to in some cases (female in heat) sexual behavior.

I don't think the ethogram is perfect, but it's a good start and an interesting way to look at the behavior of our favorite species from a different perspective.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 8:13am PST 
Squ'mey comes in on the dominant, assertive portion, and displays the aggressive warning behaviours when he erupts at other dogs.
Wiley is square in the neutral friendly scale.
The chart is a bit difficult to figure out at first and it can be a bit tricky to decide what is situational, and what is a more solid *trait. I pictured Squam in a few different situations, and how his body language was.
This was really interesting though. I would love to read how others scaled their dogs.blue dog
[notify]
Cider- Doughnut- Shenanigans

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:54pm PST 
Interesting. Cider's behavior varies greatly depending on the dog and the situation so it doesn't surprise me that according to that she falls any where from assertive to submissive. Does that mean she is well balanced?thinking
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2