GO!

Canine Behavior Explanations

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:14pm PST 
I came across a very interesting article in Roger Abrantes blog: Canine Ethogram—Social and Agonistic Behavior

Abrantes is a well-known ethologist and biologist who writes a lot about dogs.

The most interesting part of the article is the ethogram itself, along with the photos which go with it. I just read that part first and skipped back to any definitions I needed.

I found that I had had different ideas about where some behaviors fell on the scale, such as the muzzle nudge. Also I thought it was interesting that urination fell on each side of the scale.

I was glad to see that the Golden I SWEAR was assertive, my previous dog Holmes (people laugh at this) would actually have rated as assertive, lol. wink

Wouldn't it be interesting to rate your dog's behaviors according to this scale?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:23pm PST 
It would be, if I could figure it outlaugh out loud I think there are parts of this I am not graspingthinking
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:55pm PST 
OK, I think I got it. If I am understanding this right, Bunny is friendly, self confident and assertive. Which is confusing, because he is also reactive. I have been told that is a fearful behaviorthinking

Princesse definitely has fearful behaviors, no question.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 2:51pm PST 
What are Bunny's fearful/reactive behaviours?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 4:20pm PST 
Mostly barking and lunging when we meet other dogs on leash. He was that way at OB class too, barking at dogs that were barking or otherwise acting up. He is also the "fun police" at the dog park. Last night he did cross over to aggressive, barking and snarling at one of the dogs on the big dog side of the park, we were on the small dog side.thinking

ETA that doesn't sound very friendlylaugh out loud but he also has behaviors at other times that are more along those lines.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 4:22pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 7:34pm PST 
Confirms what I always thought. Totally insecure, and uses aggression to scare rather than hurt. Also explains why a big intimidating dog gets a negative reaction, whilst a small dog, even a small dog who is showing aggression, he will ignore or stand his ground.

He is acutely aware of his own size and strength and seems to react accordingly.

The opposite of assertive, I think, even though he is a very outgoing dog with people.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 3:32am PST 
Jackson, I wasn't sure you were referring to JT or Bunny in your post. Then I read JT's profile. shock Are he and Bunny long lost behavior twins? They sound so much the same, right down to the pet peeve of paying attention to any living creature but him shrug

The exception being that Bunny is smaller, the rationale must be the same, scare them before they get me. Also, Bunny has been on the aggressive side with dogs his size (only 1 that I can think of, though). Sometimes Bunny's barking and lunging is totally eliminated by letting him meet the other dog thinking

His friendliness comes out with some other dogs as well as people. What is really strange is the dynamic between him and Princesse. She can be on the fearful side ( obvious, tail tucked and ears low) but she is the boss in this house laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Oct 4, '12 3:38am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 4:37am PST 
Mine also expects me to get the ball from under the sofa when he can't and cries, and is obsessed with sniffing grass and playing in the garden. He has horrible focus (does Bunny?) and huge prey drive as well. Very jealous. MUCH better with dogs offlead than on, I think because he can control the interaction. He and Bunny could be brothers going on all that, I agree!

He is fine with small female dogs like Princesse and lets them boss him as well, lol. He is fine with most females actually, no matter what the size, even a mastiff we know. And when he's happy, he's the friendliest dog you could ever meet with others you could meet.

Dogs like him a bit tricky because you never know which way it's gonna go, or what is going to intimidate him, although most of his triggers I've got worked out. He HATES rude dogs that run up to him on leash and that's usually the source of the meltdown.

It seems we have stumbled on a canine personality 'type'! laugh out loud It's great you have him in OB, I've never been confident enough to take mine to classes.

ETA: He also tries to take himself for a walk with the leash in his mouth, ha! He can walk all the way up the street like that til he lets go.

Edited by author Thu Oct 4, '12 4:54am PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 1:06pm PST 
I don't entirely understand the ethogram but from the classifications, depending on the specific environment or situation, most of Farley's social behaviors are between 4-6, I've never seen him display anything past a 6. For instance, at the dog park, he is usually a 5-6, but in situations where he gets overexcited (when he used to be really leash reactive and sometimes in agility), he will show behaviors between 4-6.

So what does it mean, the more behaviors under a certain column means your dog is exhibiting mainly x-type behaviors? (aggressive, dominant, fearful, etc)

Also, where is mounting on this ethogram? laugh out loud
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 2:00pm PST 
Wow, Jackson!shock They are so alike , it's scary. Now I really question the results of Bunny's DNA testlaugh out loud Bunny actually does have good focus, *except* if his prey drive kicks in. naughty

Farley, I still don't understand that chart completely eithersmile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2