GO!

My dog limps on different legs. Could she be faking?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 6:38pm PST 
Did they check for other tick borne diseases like Ehrlichiosis? Jax had it and one of the symptoms was limping. What antibiotic did they put your dog on? Please keep us posted.
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 3:31pm PST 
A negative tick panel done in July does not mean your dog hasn't caught something since then. When a tick borne disease is acquired, the dog may have a multitude of symptoms. One of the most common symptoms of Erlychiea is lameness showing up in different legs. So your dog could have been infected at any time since July and is showing symptoms.

It's vital that you catch tick diseases during the "acute" stage which occurs shortly after the dog is bitten. Waiting causes the disease to progress to the chronic stage, which can be fatal. If caught early, these diseases are usually easily cured.

That's why it's important to get a new tick panel. The negative tick panel from July really means nothing now as several months - and possible exposure - has passed. Your vet should know all of this, of course, but I'm finding many vets woefully uneducated about tick diseases.

Of course, the issue could be a number of ailments. Good luck!
[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 2:56pm PST 
I'm sorry, I actually meant they re-tested her again for Lyme disease last week. The panel came back negative. Her blood test results should be back today, just waiting for the vet to call. She is going to have x-rays tomorrow.

She still had trouble over the weekend, and just seems "stiff" in the back end. She has not been limping as much, but does occasionally seem to lose her balance, but always catches herself. She still runs around and jumps on furniture and my bed. I'm confused as to the limping, if she is still so active. She does seem more agitated than usual though. She is starting fights with my puppy and my mom's dog.

My family now has a baby gate at the top of the steps, due to her balance issues. We do not want her falling down the steps.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed my vet can figure this out. Trixie is around 6, so not terribly old. The vet did mention it could be arthritis, but could that happen in a 6 year old dog?
[notify]

MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 12:38pm PST 
Yes, arthritis can occur in even very young dogs, unfortunately. Have you had x-rays done? One of my agility student's had a Golden who also was having new behavioral issues and was limping. It turned out to be spondylosis. While they had to quit doing agility, with proper care, the dog has lead a mostly pain free life.

Keep pushing your vet for help and if that isn't forthcoming, don't be afraid to switch vets.

I'm glad the tick panel came back negative. They did do more than just lymes disease on the tick panel, correct?
[notify]
Chuck

Furred Nerd

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:42am PST 
My parents dog used to limp on both back legs, and despite the fact that he was only one at the time, we assumed luxating patella in both knees. Every time we took him to the vet, the vet said he was fine. He did get coddled and carried and fussed over when he limped, and once we stopped that, he stopped limping. He's pretty clever. If you've had everything else checked out - I'd say she definitely could be a faking.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2