GO!

My dog limps on different legs. Could she be faking?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 1:49pm PST 
My family brought home a new puppy about three weeks ago. Since then, my 5 year old poodle, "Trixie" has limped on a few occasions. It always seems to be a different leg! I check the leg out and within a few minutes she is running around the house again, like nothing ever happened. She never appear to be injured, and has not seen the vet. She appears to be fine.

Could she just be trying to get attention?
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 1:56pm PST 
Get her tested for Lyme disease.
[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 2:19pm PST 
She was tested in July, before receiving her vaccines. It came back negative.
[notify]

Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 3:39pm PST 
Unless she got a lot of attention for limping, and she understood precisely which of her actions garnered the attention, I don't think she would be faking.
We once had a dog who would fake it, but only because we made a game out of asking if his leg hurt and then showering him with attention when he would hold it up as if in pain. It was like a trick for him.
I agree, a trip to the vet may be in order.

Edited by author Thu Sep 27, '12 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 9:43am PST 
She does get more attention when limping, now that I think about it. I have acted with fear and coddled her. This didn't start until we brought our puppy home confused
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 9:58am PST 
I would say that maybe the first time her leg actually bothered her, and when she learned what your response would be she's continued to fake it.
Chase hurt her paw playing with her friend, and I coddled her.
A few days later she tumbled down the last few stares and was limping, and I coddled her.
About a week later we had some people over and she wasn't being given the attention she believes she deserves and out of nowhere started limping. So of course EVERYONE makes a big deal and she just soaks it up.
It happened again the following week and that's when I caught on. I called her on it, and she hasn't done it since haha
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:08am PST 
The odds of her faking are quite low. I think it's safer to assume that something physical is bothering her. I'd bring her to a vet.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 3:42pm PST 
Pano or wandering lameness would be my guess if she were a puppy as it is my guess is a real skeletal issue.

Faking it, while not impossible is exceedingly unlikely. I'd also consider if it's different legs that it's not a leg at all but her back. Maybe the new puppy's rough play has tweaked something in her skeleton. I'd crate rest her for a week or so and then keep her to restricted play. If she turns up lame again, vet trip time and a spinal x-ray.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 3:58pm PST 
Just curious, if it's hind legs, like she holds a leg up for a minute and then seems fine--sometimes one or the other--could be luxating patella. The knee cap catches, the dog can't straighten the leg and then it uncatches and they seem fine.

One possibility that's a common congenital condition in smaller dogs esp. But I bet if you talk to a vet, there are a host of possibilities that would explain it. Have to agree with others, faking seems very unlikely . . .
[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:41pm PST 
My poodle is 6 years old. We went to the vet this afternoon as an emergency. She was limping again and lost her balance, almost falling over. She had been jumping and running around earlier in the day, playing with my puppy.

She had a fever and whimpered when the vet pressed on her back legs. She tested negative for Lyme disease. She is currently on an antibiotic and pain medication. The vet is running a full blood panel to see if that shows anything, if not, she is scheduled for x-rays next Tuesday.

The vet did mention she could have pulled something in her back, or it could be a disk since she has been favoring both legs.

She continues to run around and jump on everything at home, and is eating well.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this though.

I can't stand seeing her in pain cry
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2