GO!

My dog is acting out for no reason! Help!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 9:44pm PST 
Does she have anything to do while you're away? A kong? Maybe she just needs something to keep her mind occupied, she's probably used to having you around and is just getting bored.
[notify]
Trixi

Toothless Wonder

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 5:43am PST 
She does it more when i'm home and in another room.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 5:45am PST

[notify]
Trixi

Toothless Wonder

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 5:43am PST 
She never plays with toys, she wont touch them. She has a big bone that she chews on but most of the time she sleeps. Napping is probably her favorite thing. She wasn't acting up when I was away as much as she was when I was there.
[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:10pm PST 
I apologize for the late response.

It sounds like she's doing it for attention. You gave her attention when she did these things (negative attention is STILL attention) so she does things like that in order to get attention.

I suggest teaching a good leave it cue(you can find a great video on YouTube by Kikopup), and also rewarding and playing with her for doing things you like (playing with her own toys, walking by the trashcan without getting into it, just laying calmly by your feet/on the couch).

And, of course, boredom is also a reasonable conclusion. Even still, the above suggestions would still be quite helpful, because you're working her mind.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2