GO!

About to do some serious training

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 11:31am PST 
Attempt #2 laugh out loud

I am new to owning a large breed, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Lizzie, my 4 year old Chi knew 40+ tricks before she turned 2, very easy to train (clicker trained)

Rain is a 7 month old Golden/Lab. I cannot keep her focus for even a minute. For instance, I have been working on stay with her since she was 2 months old, she will not stay for longer than 10 seconds, when I'm standing right in front of her, or when I'm a few steps back shrug

She knew come 100% when she was younger, i could let her off leash any where, around the time she turned 5 months it just all out the window and she has selective hearing.

She is also OVERLY food motivated, her bottom lip even quivers and its just so hard to keep her focus with food around. Should I try using toys as her reward?

Any training tips would be GREAT.

her counter surfing is HORRIBLE. I've seen all Kikopups youtube videos and have tried them, but I must still be doing something wrong confused
[notify]
River Dancer

Born to Wiggle

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 4:04pm PST 
Welcome o Rain's teenage yearsblue dog

My Aussie did very well as a young pup in his basic obed. class but when he was about Rain's age and moved up to the next level of classes I had the same problems. I had difficulty getting him to focus and he had no impulse control add into that a high prey drive and energy level and then to top it off he was attcked by another dog and became reactive around strange dogs. We worked with 3 trainers before we found one that worked for us.

For focus try holding a treat out to your side at arms length. When Rain looks at you click and treat, but only when she makes eye contact. Another exorcise is have Rain in front of you and say her name, when she looks at you treat her. For us working in a calm environment when River was calm and then working up to adding in distractions worked. After that we added in targeting with a hand and then with a marker like a small container lid.

I also found it helped River focus during a lesson if he had a walk or play session before a work session. You don't want an exhausted dog but you want o burn off the excess energy. Also keep work sessions short. 2 or 3 5 minute sessions a day.

Make sessions fun. River is very food motivated and we continue to use food as treats but I have seen other dogs in class use a ball because they were not food motivated.

Not sure if you are working with a trainer or doing it yourself, but sometimes you really have to shop around for a trainer that is a good fit for you and your dog.
Have fun with Rain and good lucksmile
[notify]
Obi

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:29pm PST 
Impulse control. I would check out the book control unleashed. It has lots of fun games to improve implies control. Also take small steps. It is ok to make her wait and ok at this age to tell her no at times. I had this problem with my flat coated retriever. I was a bit of a push over too with him. Once I started setting clear cut boundaries and celebrated little bouts of attention things really started coming along.
[notify]

Bridgit

don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:28am PST 
I'm having the same problem with getting my puppy to focus. I am trying to separate her from the other dogs, now and am hoping it will work. She sits, but only for treats. Staying focused is a HUGE problem.
[notify]
Dolly- Mixture

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 1:09pm PST 
Attempt #2

###I am new to owning a large breed, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Lizzie, my 4 year old Chi knew 40+ tricks before she turned 2, very easy to train (clicker trained)

Rain is a 7 month old Golden/Lab. I cannot keep her focus for even a minute. For instance, I have been working on stay with her since she was 2 months old, she will not stay for longer than 10 seconds, when I'm standing right in front of her, or when I'm a few steps back ###

First, Rain is not Lizzie, she is a different breed, been bred to do a different job etc.

As I am not interested in competing I only teach my dogs to stay for a short time, if they will only stay for 10 seconds I keep them in stay for 9 seconds so I can reward my dog for doing what I want. The surprising thing is, when I need them to stay for longer they seem to know and will. Keep the stay very short so your can reward her.

###She knew come 100% when she was younger, i could let her off leash any where, around the time she turned 5 months it just all out the window and she has selective hearing. ###

Dogs do not have selective hearing, it sounds like Rain is a teenage hooligan, this is the stage from 6 months to 12 to 18 months old, dogs are typical teenagers, they test the boundaires. Puppies are wired to stay close to their mother, which now means us, until they are mature enough to test the big wide world which is what teenagers do. Take her right back to the beginning with recall but change the word you use, it is easier to teach it to a new word than to change her perception of the one you use now. Make sure she is 101% before moving on to the next stage, in the meantime have her on a long line clipped to a harness, this will give you control but to her she will be free. Extending leads keep pressure on the dog so they know they are under control.

###She is also OVERLY food motivated, her bottom lip even quivers and its just so hard to keep her focus with food around. Should I try using toys as her reward? ###

Goldens/Labs are known for being greedy, my Lab/Collie will do anything for a game with a ball, my Staffy is the same for a game of tugger, find out what Rain will work for. We expect wages when we work, a dog's reward is their wages.

###her counter surfing is HORRIBLE. I've seen all Kikopups youtube videos and have tried them, but I must still be doing something wrong ###

By trying to train this out of her you are going against her natural instincts, the only way you can do that is to replace the behaviour with something else, the problem with counter surfing is there isn't anything to replace it with. Dolly is only 10ins high but can jump onto my counters, the other 4 are counter surfers as has been quite a few dogs in the past. I don't attemtp to train it out of them, I make sure all food is put away so they can't get any. As long as you don't slip up and forget every now and again no food out will stop them looking eventually. Dogs won't do anything unless there is something in it for them, in this case food, consistantly no food they give up eventually.

The counter surfing is causing stress for you, you have tried quite a few ways but they haven't worked, that is to be expected, all they have done is get you more and more stressed, why put yourself through that when it is so much easier to put food away. If you have children then Rain would be better kept out of the kitchen, if she isn't a jumper a gate will do this and teach the children that the gate must be kept closed at all times as well as food put away. By keeping her behind a gate you have an extra thing to stop her from getting to left out food that others have left out.

Dogs do teach us to be a lot tidierlaugh out loud
[notify]