GO!

Milton's first dog fight

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:16pm PST 
I have heard to grab dogs by the back of the legs and suspend them in the air to pull them apart. I don't know if this works, I have never tried it. Anybody ever do this or heard of this?

Airhorns work pretty good for separating dog fights, but most people don't carry those around. Hoses too. Years ago I separated a serious fight between a female pug and another slightly bigger female mixed breed dog with the sprayer from the sink.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 9:20pm PST 
We had a serious dog fight a few years back, where 3 of our dogs attacked our fourth..and they were definitely going for a kill. I did grab Wiley by the waist/back end and torqued him off. I did toss him a few yards & when he scrambled to his feet I was able to grab his collar. I only did it because he was ripping the other dog's groin open & it was life and death for the poor guy. It is a drastic move, but it worked.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:33pm PST 
A garden hose is also effective depending on the dogs,although I didn't happen to have one located in the bedroom and would not have used it there anyway. I as stated in my previous post did grab by the waist/flank area and just pulled Mika away because the jaws were not connected to anything. I would hesitate to actually pull the legs off the ground Wheel barrow style for fear of hip injuries. I would also hesitate to use an airhorn for fear that although it might work with most dogs,there is always a chance that it could enrage one or the other and make things worse. JMHO.
[notify]

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:13pm PST 
While there is technically a "right" way to break up a dog fight, unfortunately, when all heck breaks loose you do whatever you have to do. Ideally you'd want to have two people, one to get a hold of each dog, but that's not always possible. I broke up the pit/Mastiff fight by grabbing the pit and hauling him off after he let go briefly and then dragging him into a kennel--not an easy thing to do, since he was still raring to go and we were in the middle of a yard full of other riled-up dogs. One of which was a young male Rottweiler who tried to be a tough guy by jumping the pit while I was hauling him away. At that point I was like "oh HELL no", and I somehow managed to shove him away with my foot before he could start anything.

The Mastiff ended up with a hole through one ear, but the pit was a mess--his whole lower jaw was lacerated wide open, and the skin was just hanging off. Ugh. Not one of my fondest memories. And he was the aggressor, too. I was lucky I myself didn't get bitten, although I certainly have breaking up other fights.

There was another incident where a different pit mix grabbed a Beagle by the throat and started shaking her. She would NOT let go, and I ended up having to hit her over the head twice as hard as I could with a solid plastic rod. The Beagle's neck was completely shredded, and the vet was amazed--apparently she had nicks on both her jugular vein and her spinal vertebrae. She made a full recovery, though!

Hmmm, I feel like this thread has turned into a collection of war stories...
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:43pm PST 
Unfortunately, Tika is right. You do what you have to do.

My husband actually killed a pit that had him on the ground once. It rushed him and tackled him off his bike. He lifted his bike to defend himself and it killed the dog (I won't say how, its too gruesome.) In a serious situation where life is on the line you do whatever you have to do to stop it. It's good to know the 'right way' but sometimes that's just not humanly possible.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 3:54pm PST 
I've grabbed Missy by the tail and tore a big clump of hair from her back when trying to remove her from a scuffle. There was no sign of any let up between both dogs and us owners had to get involved ( we initially thought the old school way, that they'd sort it out themselves! ) Missy also had her ribs fractured and bruising to her lungs when my neighbor kicked her off his mums dog. So, i've been in a few horrible situations. Although none of the fights she was involved in were life and death situations and absolutely did not call for physical violence in the last case, but i guess panic took over then for my neighbor and he reacted in the moment.

Point being though, you really don't know how you'll react in such a situation. I've never hesitated to go down and get involved myself because that is my first instinct. Might not be the "proper" way to deal with a fight but you do what you do in the moment and whichever is the quickest way to split the dogs up.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 9:20pm PST 
Fights are scary and yes, you do react differently than you might plan.

But for everyone reading this ... PLEASE, PLEASE, keep your safety in mind before intervening with a fight. A young, vibrant online-community recently died when trying to break up a dog fight. It's given me a whole new perspective... normal scuffles/growls/and communication are good, but full-fledged fights between powerful breeds can be very, very dangerous. frown
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 9:21pm PST 
dbl post

Edited by author Sat Oct 6, '12 9:21pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3