GO!

Help.. My dog attacks unneutered male dogs.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 6:59pm PST 
When Bunny is at the park, do you have him off leash ? At the dog park, yes. Its the only place I feel it is safe to let him off leash. At least, safe when there are no other dogs.

How does he usually react to small dogs ? The vast majority of the time, he is fine with dogs his size and females of any size. There was another dog there last night that he paid absolutely no attention to. Oddly enough, he adores Shih Tzus and has never been anything but friendly and playful with them. He is amazing with Princesse and lets her be the boss. IE, she will tell him off and he will just turn his head and not react to her at all.

What do you hope to achieve with Bunny ? Well, not reacting like a crazy dog would be nice. I dont care if he never wants to be best friends with certain dogs, but I would like him to at least be polite.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 8:51am PST 
anyone notice this thread is a year old?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 11:01am PST 
Yes squ'mey but since it was ressurected and i have the same problem, nare was nice enough to offer to help me smile
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 5:27pm PST 
Hi, I just came back from the dog beach and ran into this thread and forum thru Google search. My three year old Doberman is intact. He ignores other dogs 90% of the time and when he does not it is just a sniff of the parts and then he moves one. In those rare occasions when he does not move on, one "leave it" from me is enough to send him his way.
He gets attacked by both whole and intact males a lot. Since he rarely goes too far from me I am always right there to separate the fight. Interestingly enough the owners of dogs that start the fight are almost never near nor are the keeping an eye on their dog.
He is very energetic, gets walked in the morning and we go to dog beaches since he was 13 weeks old 3-4 times a week. He is mellow character but really athletic, loves to chase ball and birds but NEVER other dogs. He is ok with being chased as long as the dog is not jumping at his neck with intention to nip.
Today I walked in to the fenced part of dog beach together with the owner of neutered Great Dane, dog immediately put his head on my dogs shoulders and started growling. Owner kept walking ahead without turning to see what is happening. I verbally expressed that it all ok and my dog did not react to the domination game. After 20 mins my dog who was fetching the ball the whole time was just running along the beach when a young neutered Rhodesian Ridgeback approached him and instantly went after my dog. I verbally separated it by telling my do to "leave it" and he did. Owner was way in front of his dog and had no clue what has happened. I apologized and pet his dog as I hate when fight happen, it is so very stressful for all!
Right there was the guys with his Great Dane, he grabbed his dog and walked by me. My dog heels on command so he just walked by like that completely ignoring the other dog. I thanked the owner as I thought that was a nice thing to do, recognize that his dog might provoke another fight.
As I walked toward the exit out paths crossed again, Rhodesian Ridgeback and Great Dane owners with their dogs; RR owner grabbed his dog and put him between his legs. That made my dog get curious and he started to walk over there and I saw that the owner was panicking that there is going to be another fight. I called my dog back and that was the end of it. Great Dane owner made a comment how my dogs makes other owners grab their dogs. My dog had a tennis ball in his mouth and was just going about his happy business. The GD owner went and asked me if I know that I could be liable if my dog injures another dog. I responded affirmatively and let it go. I got home and have a need to ask for an advice. I am in San Diego and there is no regulations about neutering males here. My dogs is very well trained and extremely well and constantly socialized I just do not know how to make him submit when attacked by neutered dog whose owner has no clue what is going on (irony). Thank you for your comments, I read the whole thread and still haven’t found a good piece of advice. I feel that other owners do not recognize that situation could escalate and are then blaming me and my dog, actually his bread. I find that very offensive and ignorant. I am willing to neuter my dog but I am not sure if that will help as he has ABSOLUTELY NO interest in any dogs, male, female or puppies. He NEVER injured another dog in a fight as fight last only couple of seconds.
Thank you for your advice in advance!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 18, '14 10:36pm PST 
Just wish ppl who live in big cities would neuter their dogs. Until then, just need to restrict things for everyone. Such a shame.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 6:11pm PST 
ETA: Pshh, didn't realize how old this was. Leaving response up anyway.

Guest with the Dobie, your dog did nothing wrong in EITHER instance, with the Great Dane or the RR. THEIR dogs behaved inappropriately, and the next time they try and play that blame game bullcrap, you let them know that THEY are just as liable if THEIR dog starts a fight and injures YOUR dog.

Don't take BS from ignorant people. Your dog being intact does not give their dogs the right to start fights. That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard, and they had some gal to come up and say anything to you other than "I'm so sorry my dog was acting poorly!" Being intact is NOT an excuse or an out for other people's dogs to behave aggressively, its THEIR fault and THEY need to get their dogs under control else not bring them into public spaces where other intact animals are allowed to be.

Edited by author Wed Feb 19, '14 6:12pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 11:46pm PST 
Old thread but whatever, Guest why should I neuter my dog because you can't control yours? Because I live in a city? That's pretty silly.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Feb 20, '14 3:51pm PST 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Rigby LOVES intact males. Most often they are the only dogs she will play with.

If they're owned responsibly I see absolutely no reason why someone should have to neuter their pets if they don't want to.
[notify]

Barked: Thu May 29, '14 6:36am PST 
You also have to keep in mind that not all dogs are old enough to get neutered. My puppy was 6 months old when he was attacked by my friend's dog. Mine wasn't even near this other dog...when he came over & attacked my dog. My friend finally arrived on the scene and asked me "isn't he neutered ?"...like it was MY fault his dog attacked my dog. (my dog is a Labrador & he's pretty big for a puppy). Furthermore, his dog was off leash, my dog was on leash and somewhat trapped (limited to escape the attacking dog)

Please, buy a muzzle & use it if your dog is aggressive toward un-neutered dogs. Let puppies have the time they need to mature & get old enough to be neutered, without fear of being attacked.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Thu May 29, '14 11:30am PST 
Guest, I am with Sabi... there is no way I am going to neuter MY dog so you can allow your dog to be untrained and aggressive.
I have owned unneutered dogs for almost 50 years and I have NEVER had any one of my unneutered (OR neutered, for that matter), dogs attack another dog nor even start a fight. My dogs ARE trained and are under my voice control at all times.
It would seem the problem should be the responsibility of the dog STARTING the fight, not the other way around, and if your dog has a problem with unneutered dogs, then YOU need to be responsible and make sure he is not allowed to start a fight or injure another dog.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4