GO!

I have a new family member...but he isn't canine >.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:32pm PST 
Came home from work, had a bit of a mess to clean up in the bathtub but it wasn't bad. I'm not sure if his, um, "output" is any more solid today or not.

He is much more active and interested in playing, though, which I take as a good sign. Gaining weight and growing :3.

I can't wait until he is an adult. I like puppies, I like dogs...I kinda like cats, but kittens aren't really my thing.

Don't get me wrong he's cute, and I give him plenty of attention and care, but if the choice was left up to me I'd be an all-dog household, lol, MAYBE a single adult cat.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 4:42pm PST 
Okay, a little cat litter, then back to dogs. I use Fresh Step Crystal litter. It comes in a square plastic bucket and is blue, green and clear crystals of various crystal shapes. It IS pricey, $15 but one bucket lasts me over two weeks and I have FOUR cats using it with two boxes. I scoop a couple of times during the week and change it completely once a week. Mine do not track it AT ALL, one of the main reasons I switched to it.
We have free clay litter at work from broken bags at Walmart and I am still buying this stuff because I have NEVER had a litterbox smell with it and my box is in my bedroom. I tried the clay on my enclosed porch box and it STUNK!!!!! Plus, my older cat who was raised with Fresh Step crystal would not use it at all!!!
I refuse to buy the clumping kind because it clumps due to the addition of portland cement and that stuff is NASTY, especially if, God forbid, a dog eats it!!!
I liked the smell of the wood pellets litter but my cats refuse to go near it. They started peeing in MY BED when I tried to convert them with some mixed into the crystals!!!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 5:51pm PST 
Sarah, Rexy had a close call with walnuts (including shells) this past winter so I make sure to not keep walnuts or their shells within her reach, and it's also why I try to spread the word about walnuts being toxic for dogs. smile

Yes, it is the mold that is the problem, but that mold is often also present on the surface of the shells as well as inside the shells (we clean, dry and shell about 60 lbs of black walnuts per year). Luckily cats and people aren't affected by this mold.

My sister uses the silica bead litter and her experience has been similar to Moose's...any litter kicked out of the box rolls everywhere, and then the cat tries to chase down the rolling silica beads to eat them!!
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 4:14am PST 
Good news, seems the prolapse is gone altogether this morning.

There's a bit of blood because his rear end is so raw, and bit up the back of his tail as well. I got petroleum jelly over the entire area so hopefully it will start healing faster now.

Right now the cheap litter I got from the grocery store is working so I'll stick with that. I'm just thankful the diarrhea is contained (mostly) to the litter box. I don't even want to risk THINKING about changing to something different until he's more regular.

Seems to be getting better. I had less mess to clean up in the bathtub than I did yesterday morning, and far less than in the bathroom two nights ago.

I've caught a few sneezes here and there but I don't want to risk starting the antibiotics back up again and restarting the horrible diarrhea. I think the sneezes are just from the clay litter or maybe other sources of dust, too.

Edited by author Tue Jul 24, '12 4:17am PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 5:30am PST 
way to goway to goway to goway to go Glad he picked a good home. smile
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 2:34pm PST 
Ringo, est ~6 months

Just a quick update. Ringo is back from the vet after dropping off a couple "friends" there :3.

Doing just fine, acting just as playful, obnoxious, and destructive as always.

Sometimes Samson is still getting too rough with him but for the most part the both of them have seemed to come to an understanding of how to live in the same household. Ringo mopes around until I wake up in the afternoon and let Samson out to see him, Samson tends to be mopey when Ringo isn't around either so I know they enjoy each other's company smile. Ringo REALLY likes to bat at Samson's fluffy tail.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:32pm PST 
He's adorable! Glad to know he's doing so good!!

I was very fascinated by the litter discussion, haha! We currently use the Arm & Hammer clay litter, but at all the plugs for the crystal litter I might try to pick up the Fresh Step stuff that Toto uses and see how it goes. We currently use the Outlast/everlast whatever one, the newest kind they have, with baking soda on each crystal, and it's worked far better than anything else we've tried yet. But I've also never tried the crystal stuff.

Also, our girl doesn't get to the litter because we've hacked a couple of Ikea Besta cabinets and hid litterboxes in them. Privacy for the cats, limits the smell and tracking, hides it from plain sight and visitors, AND it keeps Miyu from snacking on kitty roca.

As for Samson and Ringo being left alone together... I'm just paranoid, but I don't do it. My cats and dog coexist quite well, but they bully her and she respects their space a LOT, and I really just can't bear the idea of something happening while I'm gone. So she's in her crate while they just laze about.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 7:06am PST 
What a cutie smile He looks like my gray tabby, Charlie, except Charlie has green eyes.

I actually was just thinking of this story. Last week I was in a similar situation. I took in a young adult female siamese mix. I contemplated keeping her but the vet thought she might be pregnant. She also had an umbilical hernia, so the spay surgery was going to be pricier. In the end I gave her to a local rescue, and they just LOVE her! Their vet said no- not pregnant. She'll be spayed next week and then be put up for adoption!
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:47pm PST 
He looks great! Thanks for doing such a good job with him. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4