GO!

I have a new family member...but he isn't canine >.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 8:43pm PST 
Everyone else has said pretty much everything I was going to say. I hope Ringo gets better soon, thank you for taking him in and having patience with him. hug

I prefer wheat litter or gel litter(forgot the exact name for this), because clay based litters seem to have a smell before the cat ever goes potty in it. Only downside is they don't clump like the clay litter does.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 9:06pm PST 
I like World's Best cat litter- corn based, so I don't worry about causing any serious issues if the dogs eat it. I tried Blue Buffalo's new litter made of walnut shells, but my cats wouldn't touch it. They really just like Tidy Cat... I hate that I have to buy it for them, but they don't reliably use anything else. There's also a system called Breeze- which uses plastic pellets on top of a grate with a little pad underneath. My cats only use it to pee, but it's 100% dust free!

Vet also said I could put triple-antibiotic on the puppy's rear because it has a petroleum jelly base. I just went out and bought a little tub of Vaseline for like $1.20. Someone also said to try diaper-rash ointment like Desitin, but I just wasn't sure about that. I thought that it might be a little irritating.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 9:36pm PST 
There's a cream you can use to help with the rawness...I got it for Jack's diarrhea. I can't remember the name though but you could probably get it from your vet.

As far as leaving them unsupervised I would wait a while. Personally I don't really like leaving Angel and Tia together when I am not there because Angel can be a little rough sometimes.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 10:26pm PST 
I just wanted to add that walnut shells can be toxic for dogs, so I would definitely not be using that in a dog household.

I don't use clay litters because I see just how much my cats groom and I don't want them ingesting that in any manner (which they do as the clay sticks to the underside of their claws).

I would be really careful with diaper rash ointment as most versions have zinc which can cause zinc poisoning.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 10:29pm PST 
I'm a fan of World's Best Cat Litter, too. I use it for the ferrets and the cat because I can't stand the smell of clay litters, and WBCL clumps just as well. I used a pelleted one made of newspaper once but the lack of clumping made it way too much work.

I wouldn't fast him. Cats, especially kittens, shouldn't go more than 12 hours without eating. It's hard on their liver and can supposedly cause hepatic lipidosis.

Wet foods are much healthier for cats than dry. I know you're just feeding some dry to help stools, but in normal situations, wet is the way to go. Also, if you're planning to switch to raw, younger is better because older cats can be very stubborn, so you'd want to introduce him to that as soon as possible.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:47am PST 
Clay litter is horrendous stuff, lol. After my cantankerous old tom became pretty much OBSESSED with and and started to EAT it I gave it the flick (and that's not including the horrendous smell of the stuff and the way it crumbled when he kicked it everywhere). My mum uses that synthetic crystal stuff for him now (but a non-clumping one) it seems to smell A LOT better. And he doesn't try to snack on it, lol.

Your new kitty is very cute! Congrats on the new family member, and I hope his poor butt feels better soon. Can cats get hemmeroids? I'm not sure but I can tell you I had a very similar problem once (the person not the dog LOL) and I ended up with these dreaded things after the prolapse cleared up (or semi-cleared up anyway). I had to use steroid cream to shrink it, it was horrendous. I really feel for poor Ringo . . . owww.

Edited by author Mon Jul 23, '12 2:51am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 4:41am PST 
IMO, those Crystal litters ARE the best!!! Smell is virtually nonexistant.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:31am PST 
How's Ringo doing today?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 12:59pm PST 
I was told by more than one vet that the dog would have to eat a LOT of walnut shells to get sick, and it's apparently some kind of mold that grows in the damp, rotting soft shell, and not the hard part that makes them sick either. I wouldn't have bought it if I thought it could make dogs sick. I know they are extremely toxic to horses. I only used a few cups of it mixing it in with their World's Best, the thing sat clean and empty for a week while the other boxes did extra work. They wouldn't even go in it after I diluted it with more WB.

Those of you that use the crystals- is there a certain brand you recommend? I tried one brand once a few years ago with no luck, but I'd like to try another.

kitty I feel like we are turning in to Catster!kitty
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 1:55pm PST 
Since we're on the subject, are the crystal kitty litters you speak of the little, round, white bead kind?
If it is, I've tried this and it was a great litter, but dear dog it went everywhere.
My cat would flick his paws and those round beads would roll all over the room. Drove me insane.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4