GO!

DAP Collar vs. Thundershirt

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 6:28pm PST 
New Foster will not relax if he is by himself. These are my first two options as I do not want to drug him, though I know drug therapy may help.

Can someone compare the DAP collar and the Thundershirt so I can make the best decision. Of course he has only been with us for about a week and comes from a shelter environment so we want to see if he settles down before we make any decisions.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 7:24pm PST 
We tried the thunder shirt with our rescue dog for her car travel anxiety and some other general anxiety. It didn't have any effect on her. She does seem to have a pretty high tolerance for pain and touch, so I wonder if the shirt isn't enough pressure to help her. Thunder shirt has a money back guarantee that we'll be using. We figured we could risk the $40 for a few weeks if it didn't work and if it did, great!

We haven't tried the collar.
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 4:33am PST 
DAP did nothing for Beanie, but the thundershirt works GREAT! Just have to remember to put it on snug enough.
He was a rescue and I'm not all that sure he has good associations with the nursing dog smells that supposedly make up DAP.
[notify]

Opal

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 1:26pm PST 
You have more choices than DAP and Thundershirt. I would not recommend the Thundershirt and I would recommend DAP with reservation. I have found that DAP is minimally effective. In terms of pressure wraps (which is what the Thundershirt is), as a professional dog trainer who works with dogs with behavior issues on a daily basis, I would recommend the original, patented Anxiety Wrap. The Thundershirt, which came out 8 years after the Anxiety Wrap is a knock-off product. You can read more about the difference between the products here: http://dubuquedogtrainer.hubpages.com/hub/dog_anxiety_wrap. Other options for anxiety include Through a Dog's Ear music to calm canines and Composure, a calming nutritional formula for dogs. It's hard to say without more information exactly what all is going on with your new foster, but if anything, I would try the Anxiety Wrap first and perhaps the music. Cindy Ludwig, M.A., KPA-CTP
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 1:50pm PST 
Actually, before forking over any money, I would try the TTouch style anxiety wrap with a wide elastic bandage, or simply try fitting pup in a snug t-shirt and tying it into place.

I was considering the Thundershirt, but after Rexy's reaction to the TTouch wrap, decided that any sort of pressure wrap is just not for her (they make her more anxious).
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Fri May 11, '12 4:21pm PST 
Sorry, I did the original anxiety wrap BEFORE the Thundershirt, and it did NOTHING. Thundershirt works GREAT!
[notify]
Riley CGC- DSA

Designer Mutt!

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 1:10pm PST 
I really like the Thundershirt, and have had great results with it. The important thing is to make sure it is initially put on during happy times so the presence of the TS doesn't become a signal of impending solitude. I used the DAP collar with my hyperactive girl when she was a puppy, and had no results. I just met with a veterinary behaviorist for my fearful, anxious girl and she recommended the DAP collar in conjunction with medication. She said she sees mixed results and it really depends on the dog. I have also heard it can vary dog to dog based on experiences with the mother as a puppy.
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 2:26pm PST 
I agree Riley,,, Beanie was a rescue at 4 - 5 weeks from a BYB with WAY too many dogs and no care...I am sure his associations with those smells are not terribly nice! He also has pediatric neuter anxiety issues but mostly in the car and that Thundershirt works perfectly. He LOVE to go, so to him, the thundershirt means good stuff is happening.
[notify]
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 3:32pm PST 
Thanks everyone!

Just trying to see whats out there before spending money on something that doesn't work!
[notify]