GO!

'An Untrained Dog Won't Protect Its Owner'

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 3:56pm PST 
I agree Bailey, I think you'd need to know the context of the situation before you could say it was likely the dog's insecurity.

I don't think my dog would go after anybody in a bite or attack either, she's generally super people friendly, but when she does find somebody's behavior suspicious or odd, she throws her head up and sounds what I call her "You are OUT OF ORDER! This is highly irregular!" bark.

I think she's a fairly confident dog, certainly not nervous of new people or strangers, but considers her job is to sound the alarm, point out the person of concern, and leave it for others to handle . . . laugh out loud
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 7:29pm PST 
It's nice to have a dog who would protect you (or at least serve as a good deterrent). I taught Steele "watch 'em" and "get 'em". Watch 'em is to bark/growl/look vicious and Get 'em (obviously) is to go after something/someone.

Now I never use "Get 'em" on any person and I wouldn't unless someone full on attacked me. But if ever I feel suspicious of anyone while out walking, I simply whisper to Steele, "Watch 'em" and he focuses intently on the person (if I say it louder, that's when he'll act "vicious"). He does have unstable nerves and is afraid of men (but would never bite out of fear with friendly people). But he stands his ground if he has to and doesn't back down. He has a very intense stare and will keep his eyes on a person's eyes no matter what. He won't look away for a second.

Now maybe it's not good if he has unstable nerves but he's not a biter (unless someone attacked me, then he may) and he also has a VERY solid command which will call him off of anything (so were he to ever mistakenly go kujo toward anyone b/c he felt threatened, I can call him off in an instant, and he's always leashed so I'm right there anyway).

Imani is my lover girl. She ADORES people, every single person out there. She wiggles and prances and begs for attention. However, she's picked up Steele's protectiveness. She would never harm anyone for no reason (hell, she'd happily go home with any stranger if I let her) but threaten me and she WILL back it up b/c she's not afraid of people. haha I have seen what she'd do if anyone threatened me and it is scary.

So in a way, Steele's more for show and Imani is the real deal. lol Steele has come in handy many times before. Simply whisper a "watch 'em" and his eyes are on target. As the person comes too close (and I'm clearly telling them I'm not interested and they don't listen), Steele lunges out in a fireball of fury and they quickly get the hint. lmao

So of course I agree that this video is bunk. lol

Edited by author Tue May 15, '12 7:31pm PST

[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 2:40pm PST 
That's completely false. Growing up, my GSD was not a PPD and she knew what a threat was. She would rise to the occasion too. She never bit anyone, she never attacked anyone, she was not a liability, but she knew when something was wrong and she was protective when need be.
[notify]

Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Sat May 19, '12 5:14pm PST 
I disagree. Growing up we had a chow x lab mix who was not trained that one night the cops were searching for someone and we heard people in our backyard. The dog was asleep in the hall when someone tried opening the backdoor. Shadow(Dog) charged down the hall and attacked the backdoor scaring whoever was out there off. He then refused to leave the backdoor.

Liam has gotten between me and my roomie when we got into screaming matches and hes gotten in my face. He managed to make roomie back off quick and he isnt a trained guard dog either.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 2:13am PST 
I am glad to have found this forum. Plain and simple, I recently stumbled across that video with no where to say anything and that video flat out pisses me off.

I hate the assumptions made on that video, misleading statements that generalize all dogs as "fearful" creatures who won't leap to action. All for him to make a buck. I have been around dogs for close to 27 years now, and I have full confidence that each and everyone of the family members / dogs in my life would have come to my protection. And have at some point in time!

I was two seconds off from e-mailing the owner of this business, but opted against it. I am glad to see other people around to know better then to believe this farce of a video. I am glad to see other people questioning the untrained dogs and their relations to that little girl. The entire video is horribly misleading, and as a dog owner it truly bothers me to see such a misrepresentation of dogs!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 6:24am PST 
You can tell it's almost Halloween by the zombie thread! laugh out loud
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 12:23pm PST 
That's right, I brought it back! All Hail Halloween!
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 1:41pm PST 
Since this has been resurrected... laugh out loud

I was out one day with Chewy, and my neighbor and I didn't get along so well at the time. He got mad and shoved me. Chewy also knows him well and sees him almost daily. As soon as he got angry and and shoved me Chewy rushed him, growling hackles raised then jumped up knocking him to the ground. After Chewy came back to my side and just stood there ready to go for him again. My neighbor and I laughed it off and forgot about why we were having a disagreement in the first place. laugh out loud

I think because he already knew my neighbor and it wasn't that serious of a situation, I don't think Chewy felt the need to actually bite.

I think if it had been a more serious situation with a stranger Chewy would have protected me, and would bite if needed. He's always been a protective of me and we've grown up together and have formed a close bond.

There have been several other occasions where Chewy has "protected" me without getting physical. On a walk a man rushed out from behind some bushes. He was literally right next to us. Chewy turned, positioned himself between me and the man then looked right up at his face and gave a low growl. The guy stepped back and quickly left.
[notify]
Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 5:12pm PST 
Rofl forgot i posted here already.

Edited by author Sat Oct 20, '12 5:14pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 5:46pm PST 
Mahaha, In honor of Halloween, this thread shall never die! happy dance

But yes, in all seriousness, it just irritates me how much that man was willing to go for money. Honestly, I don't blame the girl, she was in the 6th grade, she prolly didn't know better. But the fact that he's done more then just the one video on this subject does raise suspicions.

Edited by author Sat Oct 20, '12 5:48pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8