GO!

teething...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Kobe

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 3:14pm PST 
kobe is teething, so besides the endless energy he has, he also always is putting stuff in his mouth...toys, grass, twigs, old walnuts that we missed in the fall, his leash, then hands, shirt sleeves, and back to leash...

we're trying to keep him busy, but it seems the only thing i've given him so far that holds his attention for longer than 10 min is a bully stick. other than their cost, i would prefer him to not have too many of those. i don't want an upset tummy.

does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep him busy and tire him out? it's been a week and i'm already for him to grow up. don't get me wrong, i love the puppy stuff, but i'm tired. does some of this constant energy / mouthing go away after the teething stage?
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 3:18pm PST 
Get a cow toe. Line it with peanut butter. Take some yogurt add a little water and some crushed dog biscuits. Add the mix to the cow toe. Freeze. Serve frozen. A friend of mine just got a lab/chow that is all mouth.. took him almost an hour to get through the frozen cow toe...

Bully sticks are all protein and pups should only get 1 a day. You can buy them online pretty cheap at bestbullysticks.com

Hang in there....flowers
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 7:10pm PST 
on the bully sticks, does 1 a day mean 6 inches or a 12 inch bully stick? right now, he's getting through about 6 inches a day. we're hanging in there smile this morning, we went for a nice bike ride and tonight we went for a nice long walk. tiring him out seems to help.
[notify]

Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 8:33pm PST 
Have you tried a raw meaty bone? Tia is teething, but on a raw diet, so she is getting her needed chewing done while she eats. She has yet to destroy any of her toys or shoes or anything else. She stills gets a little nought, but nothing too bad. You can give your dog raw pigs feet. I gave Tia a frozen one & it kept her occupied for a few hours. She couldn't get through the bone so Sita finished it off for her. Chicken back & necks are also really good. Just adjust your dogs food so it's not getting too many calories. Pig feet are pretty high in fat. Just make sure no cooked bones. Dogs can digest raw bones, but cooked bones can splinter and cause major problems. Good luck & hang in there. They grow out of it eventually smile
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 9:02pm PST 
What about a Nylabone? Not the edible kind, but the hard kind? They make ones especially for teething puppies. A puppy Kong filled with peanut butter, cheese, yogurt, applesauce, dry food, etc and then frozen is also an excellent choice.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 6:54am PST 
I like knotted tea towels (cotton ones), wet then frozen. The cold is very soothing on gums and puppies seem to love the texture. Do a whole pile and add them to the toy/bully stick rotation.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 8:12am PST 
I make ice cubes out of broth. Or I freeze margarine containers full of broth and put the chunks out in the yard. I have also frozen large carrot chunks and celery. Carrot juice stains though so it is again an outside treat.
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 11:25am PST 
thanks for the ideas! i do have a nylabone, but he's not too interested in it. he seems to be more food motivated. the only toys that really hold his attention are stuffed toys with squeakers- which aren't going to last long for obvious reasons. he does love ice cubes though, but he does drool everywhere with them. we've taught him to run or trot next to the bike, so that's helped to drain some of the energy. does anyone have suggestions for when he starts to mouth us or grabs his leash? he seems to be doing this more as a rebellion thing.
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 12:45pm PST 
You can use anti-chew spray (Bitter Apple) on your hands & leash. Tia likes to carry stuff around in her mouth, including her leash or her sister's leash. She doesn't really chew them though, so I just let her be. I also try letting her carry something in her mouth on walks to keep her from bugging the other dogs by grabbing their leashes. She got tired of carrying around the knotted rope, but will stop & pick up sticks to carry around for a while. Have toys ready & when your dog goes for your hand, redirect him to the toy.
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 3:10pm PST 
if i have to, i'll resort to the bitter apple. however, i've gotten it on my hands and then somehow on my lips and in my mouth before and it is hard to get rid of! the problem with redirecting is that it's really hard to get something small like a ball from him. we're working on the drop it command. if i tell him to stop chewing or mouthing something, i want him to understand that that's what i mean, not when i say stop chew on something else.
[notify]