GO!

Share your CGC/CGN experiences with me!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 10:51pm PST 
I'm considering taking Farley for his CGN. I'd love to hear from those who have taken it. What was your experience like? Did you have to take it more than once? Which parts, if any, did your dog struggle with?

I'd also like to hear some benefits to having your dog certified as a CGC/CGN.

Thanks pups! wave
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 7:45am PST 
Our club had a CGN test last year and I entered my boy Harley. No real benefit for us other than supporting the club.

It was a small one. The tester was more lax than others I had heard of (even heard of a place in Ontario that will only test your dog if you passed 2 levels of obediencewink ) We had tons of fun and no problems. It was in empty building at a rodeo grounds...so lots of smells. Sniffing was a problems but you are allowed to command, cheer your head off.

Where I was most concerned was the isolation with a stranger. Harley is a velcro dog. But all the smells worked in my favor...he just sniffed away and then promptly started rolling around on a particular 'whiter' spot.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:51am PST 
Cobain passed his CGN with flying colours right after his first birthday (He was ready months earlier, but we had difficulty finding an evaluator in our area).

I believe any well balanced/trained "pet" dog should be able to pass it. (I say "pet" as there are certain working breeds that may not be conditioned for such work).

I'd say the most difficult parts for most dogs are either the supervised separation, or the walking past another dog politely.

Best of luck!
[notify]

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 9:24am PST 
Hmmm... benefits? Well, Chark wears a CGC tag on her collar. I HAVE had people who recognize this and definitely will expect her to behave like a CGC wink

So, the benefit is that every day I expect her to behave like a CGC laugh out loud And she does...

I'm trying to say that the CGC/CGN is (IMHO) not a title but what your dog is. It's a baseline behavior set and something I expect as a minimum from which we build. every. darn. day. (!) way to go
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 10:36am PST 
Cohen got her CGN when she was 8 months old. It really is just a test of basic obedience and rudimentary self control for most (non-reactive, non-fearful) dogs. The toughest part for most people is the supervised separation, though if you treat it like a lengthy out of sight down-stay you should be just fine.

My tester was a little too lax for my liking.

There's no real benefit to earning the title, but it gives you something to work towards with your dog. Training time together is one of the best ways we bond with our dogs, and that's more than worth it in my opinion.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 11:53am PST 
Eh. Honestly? Really boring obedience class. The part I was concerned about (other dog) didn't really evolve into anything of interest. I just asked for attention and off we went. The dogs can move around during the separation they just can't flip out so even breaking a sit or a down isn't a big deal.

I've yet to find an advantage to taking it but I admittedly haven't really looked. I only took it because I was in the club building for what I thought was open floor at the same time. Might as well knock off the certificate. I know my park requires it for intact dogs so I'll be doing it again shortly. I know it is recognized by some landlords since my friend got her normally breed restricted dog into an apartment complex by showing he had a CGC. Not typical but it worked.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 5:27pm PST 
Kali & I worked really hard to get her CGC certified. She was sick for the first 4 years of her life so she didn't get much socialization. She was fearful and dog aggressive. She over came both, and passed with flying colors. So, for me, it wasn't boring. It was a lot of work. I can see how it can be boring for someone with a dog who is well socialized. She got her certification when she was 5. You would never know she was aggressive now. She goes with me to SPCA fund raisers, to watch parades, and hike the White Mountains off leash, where we meet lots of other people and dogs. Never a problem. Everyone can't believe she's such a nice dog, since she's very big. I'm very proud of her. She's a great dog.
[notify]
Lizzie, CGC

Fence Jumper

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:05pm PST 
Having a CGC on your dog can come in very handy. Lizzie had to have hers to join the local therapy dog club. It also helps you when you want to rent, if you want permission to have more dogs than are usually allowed where you live, etc. It can also help if you have legal issues with your dog because it shows that you have a level of commitment to your dog and your dog has training many dogs don't have.

When I took the test, I felt like the trainer passed too many people. Lizzie got nipped at by another dog (the dog was nipping other dogs too) and that dog passed. Lizzie also cried quite a bit during the supervised separation, so I don't think she should have passed either. I don't know if Sarah could pass- she gets nervous around strange dogs and would probably growl...
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 6:29pm PST 
Also the Hartford Insurance Company and several other insurance companies will honor the CGC for the "Banned" breed. Grunt passed his S.T.A.R. class (kinda like a pre-CGC) class. Now we just need the time to drive to the evaluator for the CGC. Being a pitbill, a CGC will help us with homeowners insurance...
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 9:09pm PST 
Tanuk has his CGC, as we just see it as a milestone all our dogs should strive for. I was immensely proud of Tanuk when he got his, however now I'm not so sure it holds the honor it should/I thought it did. We've had two dogs come into work recently with the owners spouting off about their CGCs, and honestly I have no idea how these dogs got them. One dog is a young lab who can't sit still, mouths your hand when you touch him, and likes to run up and bite people in the butt. The other is a super sketchy GSD who is leash and barrier aggressive. Neither can be walked without a prong collar if you want to keep your arm in its socket. Honestly I was insulted when I heard about these two having a CGC. confused
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2