GO!

5 month old Kuvasz female puppy concern

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:11pm PST 
http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/my_5_month_old_kuvasz_puppy_ doesnt_like_me-57666

I'm the author of this post and i do appreciate the responses. I am aware of a kuvasz's solitary nature - but I thought they were supposed to be aloof/non chalant towards strangers as well? Mine is so hyper around new people she sees and wants to jump up on them, play etc

And for a guard dog she's certainly not very guardy LOL - not even one tiny bit. She doesn't bark or perk up if someone comes to the door and if someone does enter the house she greets them, well, like a typical puppy.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:21pm PST 
She's a puppy... They do that. They don't get aloof to strangers for a while thankfully giving their owners the chance to socialize them so they don't have a vicious guard dog right off the bat. Now is the time when you want to introduce her to people who are regulars in her life. Otherwise you will have a serious problem.

Toto's answer in that thread was dead on and I will quote it for truth.

"Kuvasz are a breed bred to be alone, out in a field, protecting the sheep, etc. They are not at all well known as a cuddly, couch potato type dog.

People seem to always get these type of dogs and then are unhappy when they are not like the retrievers and other breeds devoted to their owners.
Sorry, but this is what the breed is, read the breed standard and you will most likely fine she is a perfectly normal Kuvasz... changing years of genetic programming is not likely to happen so you need to love her for what she is."

This is also why breed research before purchase is so important. The Maremma, Kuvasz and Pyr breeders in the area who sell these pups make it abundantly clear what their dogs are and are not. I suggest you try to find a breed mentor or do some reading on the breed to get a better idea of what it is you have.

Edited by author Tue Apr 10, '12 2:22pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:44pm PST 
There's lots of conflicting information out there though; some breeders and websites say they are very aloof and standoffish right away even as puppies - others say they are very cuddly and affectionate....it's hard to know what is reliable and what isn't.

Socialization is actually going extremely well - she knows and sees everyone who comes through the house regularly and is comfortable around them. I'm just wondering when I could expect her to get, um, well - guardy? I purchased her partly to be a guard/watch dog (we live on a large plot of land) and all she wants to do to strangers now is give them kisses - when does the "guard" instinct kick in?
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 3:08pm PST 
You cannot expect anything like that in puppyhood. She's still a baby, of a slow to maturing breed at that.

When did her breeder let you know that should kick in?

I would assume around sexual maturity but different lines could mature faster or slower with that instinct ramping up sooner or later over others.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 3:25pm PST 
Some Maremmas get guardy around 2. BRTs tend to be around 2 when the flip switches.

Most LGs or general guards are slow maturing due in part to size but mostly maturity. You'll also find the truth is sources is typically somwhere in the middle. While many puppies may be standoffish many will not be and will be more typical in their puppy behavior.

Do you have livestock? From what I understand many LGs can be wanderers if they don't have charges to look after.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 6:51pm PST 
No livestock, just the land and house - but it's fully secured so it's fine for free exercise and wandering.

Hmm I suppose that would make sense - I never expected her to be totally cuddly and sticky but I've heard stories of other Kuvasz owners that have had very "typical" puppies in every sense and others that were more standoffish. So just wanted to establish what was what. I guess it depends alot on the individual dog too.
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 5:48am PST 
I knew a guy at the dog park who had a Kuvasz. Totally a cool dog! Totally indifferent to strangers, but was actually incredibly bonded with his owner. The owner actually left the dog park to go pick something up and left his kuvasz at the park with friends. The kuvasz sat at the gait waiting for his owner to return the whole time.

But as for guarding, the owner of the kuvasz did tell me one story about his dog. The owner lives in an apartment. One day, the owner of the apartment complex just decided to go into the guy's apartment. His kuvasz literally chased the guy out of the apartment and down the hall. way to go

Actually, the kuvasz was a quite chill dog. But I imagine that was because his owner did exercise him a lot and bring him to the dog park a lot too.

But anyway, I agree with others. You have a puppy. Kato never barked at anyone when he was a pup. Now he barks up a storm when anyone enters our yard.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 6:51am PST 
Please please find a breed mentor (maybe this dog's breeder might be willing to advise) or hire a trainer that knows the breed. You desperately need one if you expect your 5 month old Kuvasz to guard...are you this dog's primary handler? If you don't know how to boundary train, hire a trainer to teach you or research the process. All that should be taking place now is basic puppy OB, and introducing the pup to your boundary lines by letting it explore the property with appropriate checks in place and supervision.

The temperament of a giant guardian breed 5 mo old pup is nothing like the temperament of the adult dog. Your dog may not even be fully mature at two.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 9:23pm PST 
By 18-24 months that friendly puppy will be non-existent.
[notify]
Jade

Empress of the- Jade Dynasty

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 9:55pm PST 
I've been told they will get "guardy" the minute you are actually threatened, and that they truly know when that is. Hope this helps. Mine also seems to love almost everyone, unless their body language looks sinister to her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2