GO!

Where do you keep your crate?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Hazard

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 8:44am PST 
Hazard was crate trained when we adopted him, but we never seem to find the best place to put it. We crate him in the living room in the daytime but he also sleeps in his crate in the bedroom at night. His recent problems with anxiety made me wonder if we should stop moving it around on him and leave him in one place.It made me curious as to where other people place their crates.

Please share where you crate your dog, and whether you crate when you leave home or at night. Thanks!
[notify]
Denali

Goood...Very- Goood...

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 9:04am PST 
We keep their crates in our bedroom, but I would probably put them in an extra bedroom if we had one just for space reasons. We only crate them when we go out or if we're too busy to keep an eye on them. We leave them loose in our bedroom at night, but we crated them at first until we fully trusted them. They each have a dog bed in our room though, so they have a place of their own to sleep.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 9:47pm PST 
Sandy's crate is in my bedroom. Most convenient since she sleeps in my room. Sometimes she'll sleep on my bed. Other times she'll sleep in her crate. I don't crate her when I'm gone most of the time. I have here and there. Her crate is mostly for sleeping and relaxing.

Sweeney, Meepster, and Ninja have crates in the living room. Ninja isn't here all the time, of course, but he still has a crate for when we're dog sitting him. They're all in corners so that they're kept out of the way. They, too, are kept open while we're home for free access. Most of the dogs have taken to using them. Occasionally I'll catch two of them cuddled together in one of the crates, which is adorable. Sometimes, I'll even catch Noble (the cat) sleeping in one (usually curled up against Sweeney and purring). Sweeney is almost always crated while we're gone (as he's gotten used to it - we crated in the beginning because he felt comfortable in his crate, but now we crate as a sort of... routine). Meepster is crated occasionally. When Ninja is here, he's crated while we're gone, too. Precious and Chi Chi aren't crate trained - but do use the crates to sleep in.

Lilo's crate is in a back room. The door to the room is always open so she can access it. She's crated while we're gone, too. I'm glad I don't have more than one crate in my room, to be frank. With a hamster and gerbils in there, a lot of my space is already taken up! laugh out loud Sandy's crate fits just perfectly, though.
[notify]

Hazard

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 8:29pm PST 
Two dogs cuddled in one crate! That sounds too cute.

For now we've moved hazzie's crate to the laundry room. We've put his bed there too. He's not locked in at all though. We just want him to start feeling he can be saf/relaxed in a space away from us.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 8:46pm PST 
I have crates all over the house lol!

I have two crates in the living room for when I leave the house, I also have two crates in the bedroom (one for the 9 month old when I want a peaceful night, the other cause Maggie likes a crate just in case). I also have a crate that I can set up in the kitchen while working on crate games...then there are the numerous soft crates that can be set up in the car/etc.

I only purchased one of the hard crate full price...the rest were Craigslist/Freecycle finds for less than $20 (or free!). The soft crates were acquired after years of dog ownership lol!

If you still crate overnight, I would be sure to have two crates (one for the room and one for everyday). My dogs love having a crate in the living room to run to.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 9:01pm PST 
I have no crates in the house. My dogs are past needing to be crated when I leave and they sleep with me at night. I do have veri kennels in the car and their soft crates for agility trials but thats it.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 10:42pm PST 
jake's crate is in my room across from my bed. Though we only use it for feeding now. jake's beyond needing to be crated when i'm away from home as long as my door is open. I use petgates and baby gates to keep him out of certain parts of the house.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 10:56pm PST 
Even for feeding, they each have their "assigned" spots and they know they have to stay there and wait for me to put their food down in their spots in the kitchen. Its nice to finally have them trained and not needing to be crated in the house at all.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 6:59pm PST 
Our crate is in the living room. Our dog is crated during the day when we're gone. She sleeps in the crate at night with the door open. Our bedroom is on the same floor so she can still hear us and sense that we're nearby.
[notify]
NTD Chance- *Adopted!*

Adopt Me!!

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 7:38am PST 
Chance's crate is right next to my bed. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4