GO!

Treeing Walker Coonhound

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasper

Chew Chew what- can I Chew??

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 3:13pm PST 
Hello
I was informed of this board by a good friend, said the ppl have helped her with her dog and were very nice about it. We have a 7mos old Treeing Walker Coonhound, hes a very good dog when he wants to be! We got him from a friend of my husband when he was almost 3 mos old, they couldnt deal with the barking. So my husband thought he would train him to do his hunting and would have someone to go with, sadly not long after we got him my husband was put in the hospital for possible MS. Its done damage to his legs to where he has a hard time walking so he cant train him to hunt. We chose to keep him as a family pet after all my research said they were good family pets even if not trained. I kept being told they are not and how I need to get rid of him and alow him to go to a home who will keep him outside or train him to hunt.
We have 3 kids a 10 yr, 3 yr old and 1 yr old. We did have some issues where he would growl at the younger two but he has been getting better not doing this. I posted this on another group seeking help as to how to stop him to do it as hes still a puppy and was informed hes a bad dog and he has to get rehomed or he needs to be put down. How I was a bad mom allowing to keep a dog who would do this around my kids. I did seek a trainer for this and we are dealing with it. He doesnt do it to the 3 yr old anymore and does it once in a great while with my 1 yr old. The trainer didnt seem to think he was going to hurt the kids at all she thought it was due to the fact they did hit him even after we spoke to them about it and he was nervous about it. If we changed the way we dealt with it by removing him from the kids and also working with the kids not to hit he will be better, and yes its helped.
Now Im looking for some just training with him. I cant get him to stop barking if we leave or barking when someone comes to the house. he also jumps big time which I know is his breed but if I can get him to stop would be awesome! I know he can be trained as he has been doing so well with the kids so now Id like to do some more with him. We recently moved so he has a lot more land to run around and we are next to the woods so we do walks. The trainer told me he needs a lot of getting out walking running playing which is fine the kids loved it and wear both of them out! But now its up to me to do the other training. Anyone who might have a one tell me whats best way to train him. Also if anyone has one as a family pet how do they do? Are they ok or should they not be a family pet?

Thanks!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 3:39pm PST 
I have a hound mix as a pet, and he's awesome. It's just me but sometimes I feel bad for not having kids, since he loves them so much! So no, I definitely don't think it's wrong to keep a coonhound as a pet. I don't know if mine's a coonhound, he's sick right now but is 45 lbs when healthy, and covered in red and blue ticking with a couple of plate sized black and brown patches. I don't know if there are separate hunting and show coonhound lines, so it's possible that you have a dog from hunting lines but all that means is that he's going to be higher energy. It doesn't mean it's cruel to keep him inside. Just make sure he gets lots of exercise outside.

As for training, I'd recommend clicker training. Hopefully somebody else will post the name of a book to help you as I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Good luck!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 3:53pm PST 
First off, so sorry to hear about your husband.hughug

If the kids are hitting the dog, the dog is probably going to tell them off, which is the growling. A warning to go away, especially since the kids had hit the dog before. I agree with the trainer. The dog is probably just nervous given the hitting. Young kids are tough though...tougher than dogs when it comes to training.laugh out loud But yeah, the more you instill the no hitting and the more the dog has positive experiences with the kids, the better things will be. So, keep that up. Maybe have the kids help at feeding time. Many kids like to do "grown up" activities. So, if they don't already, you can maybe show them how to give the dog food at feeding time, and make that their job. That way, the dog sees the kids as something good...they bring the dog the food.

I'm not sure what you mean by just "train" him. What exactly is it that you're looking for? What do you want out of the dog? Is it just a control on the barking/jumping or do you want a little more?

I think for you, your best bet is to look into positive reinforcement methods. They're generally easier to do and learn and are fun for all involved.

Kikopup has a youtube channel with a bunch of things on how to teach dogs to do certain things.

Here's her video on jumping.
[notify]

Jasper

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 3:54pm PST 
Is yours a mix maybe? My friend has a coonhound mix who is very old and sweet! She loves kids as well. I couldnt believe anyone would tell me it was mean to keep him inside, he has a ton of room now as we moved. Whats the clicker method can I ask? Im looking for books and cant find any. So any ideas would be great!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 3:57pm PST 
B&D will be along shortly I'm sure - she's our Hound person! way to go Have you done any training with Jasper? The runs in the woods and playing with the kids are great! way to go But he still needs his basic training. You can go to dogstardaily.com they have a section that has free printouts for training. It's easy and loads of fun. Most of all your children can learn also! applause Once you get his basic training done, then you can teach him things like "speak", "shh", "leave it" these are great when people come over and your pup barks. You can acknowledge the bark by a bark command, and then a shh comand to quiet and then leave it to let him know you got it now he can leave them alone. Clicker training is fun and easy - Karen Pryor started clicker training and has a webpage with everything you'll need. He's a cutie and I wish you loads of success.

Also hug's to your hubby and family.
[notify]
Jasper

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 3:58pm PST 
You posted when I did lol sorry! Thank you I needed to hear I wasnt at the wrong keeping him that makes me feel better. My 1 yr old LOVES to feed the dogs so Ill have her do it more and the 3 yr old likes to do the watering so she can do it too! They are doing the treats when he is nice to them too and they are learning too how to treat animals and ppl as they also hit me and my oldest so its working out.

Id like to get him to stop barking jumping get him to speak sit roll over that stuff. When I put training in for his breed all I get is hunting training which wont help me. Thanks regarding my DH as well.
[notify]
Jasper

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 4:00pm PST 
Wow this is a great board, thank you everyone! Some positive info for me and no we havent done anything with him at all. We were going to and after he was told he had MS it was a stressful time and then we moved, well you get it. So now everything is some what back in order so Id like to teach him stuff. My 9 yr old chow mix knows all of that stuff but he wont take the way she did to it, so Im sure he needs to be taught a different way.

Again thank you everyone!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 4:12pm PST 
Well, many dogs really love what they're bred to do, but that doesn't mean they can't be completely happy doing something else. You just have to give them outlets for their energy.

A lot of people here like clicker training, but you don't need a clicker for it. It's basically marking the behavior you like with a click from the clicker (but you could just use a verbal marker like "yes") and then rewarding the dog. So, the click or the word becomes to mark for good behavior. So, like if you were teaching sit, when the dog sat, you'd click the clicker (if you had one) or mark verbally and then give the dog their reward. It can be really fun.

There are many books on teaching dogs tricks. You could try 101 dog tricks as a guide for things to teach.

As for breeds, hounds tend to be very nosey and scent driven. So, nose work type games are usually really good. I like to put my dogs in a room while I go around placing treats around the house for them to sniff out. After I've placed a good bit of them, I go let the dogs out of the room to find all the treats. They really love it!

If you have boxes, you can do it in boxes like this.

There are all sorts of fun things you can do to give your pup some fun times. Keep in mind, there are A LOT of dogs that are family pets, and most breeds of dogs were meant for work of some sort. Even the mutts have that inner drive too. So, you most certainly can have a "working" dog as a pet.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 4:13pm PST 
Hi! I'm B&D! LOL

I live with a bluetick coonhound and a black and tan coonhound as my beloved house pets. big grin I am absolutely in love with the coonies and will never be without one!

First, basic training...hounds are very independent thinkers. This means sometimes they think about something they want to do more than you want them to do (like, running and sniffing, looking for squirrels...walking away) rather than learning "sit". I find with my hounds training sessions have to be short and frequent. Or, you have to move from one thing to another very quickly. They get bored very easily, even when they haven't mastered what you are trying to teach. Don't worry-you can come back to it later and they will pick it right back up.

As for the barking/baying....good luck! I had to work hard to get both my girls to feel free to talk. I love it! Some people have found putting the bark on a cue like "speak" then the quiet on a cue too helps some. So when they do bark at something the cue "quiet" will tell them to hush.

Walks in the woods are great for a sniffing dog! Getting to use their nose regularly really does help keep them calm.

In that same thought, great games to play with the pup can be things like hiding his kibble and having him find it. Or using food toys like IQ Balls or buster cubes for him to play with.

I am so glad you are teaching your children how to interact with the puppy! I think much of his growling and such was just because he couldn't trust the kids and they were doing mean things to him. He doesn't understand they are just kids-so you have to be the one watching out for him. A couple important rules for kids to learn is to not mess with the dog while he is eating, and to not mess with the dog when he is in his "safe place". If you dog doesn't have a crate I'd suggest one. It needs to be somewhere he can go and relax away from the kids-and the kids know that he is taking a break for a while.

Coonhounds in general can make a great family pet as long as their need to use their nose is met in some way or the other.

I really like the book "How to Train your dog like Pro" by Jean Donaldson. I got it from the library. It also comes with a DVD so you can see her teaching her own beginner students. She really breaks the how-to down step by step.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 4:39pm PST 
Told ya B&D is the bomb! Forgot about ya Sanka! My bad, after the last video you just don't know! thinking Jasper - you're in goods hands now...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2