GO!

How does redirecting a bad behavior to a good behavior work?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Hmmm

What? You said- something?

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 6:34am PST 
For instance, my dog humps at the dog park dog walk, would it work for me to work on a recall that he'll always respond to, ie a whistle which is always followed by an excellent treat? So when he starts to display signs that he's going to mount I blow the whistle and redirect his attention to me?

I'm just not sure I understand the concept. I think a dogster article mentioned having your dog do the touch command whenever he started barking and he'd basically learn not to bark inappropriately.
thinking
[notify]
Scout

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 7:07am PST 
It sounds like you've got the right idea. One of the things we are doing is redirecting Scouts jumping on people behavior to a sit. When he looks like he is getting ready for a pounce, we ask him to sit.
[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 7:23am PST 
Baby, I just want to thank you for addressing this issue. Oscar is not a humper but is the constant victim of humping at the dog park, and so far very few owners do a thing about it. It makes me very reluctant to even take him to the dog park because of it.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 7:54am PST 
I wouldn't do that.

For one, you might create a behavior chain. As in, go hump, that makes human blow the whistle/recall, I get a reward.

You are also ending the fun by using recall, something that can REALLY backfire, especially if used too much. Recall can most certainly be used to call off a dog from fun, but generally, that shouldn't happen too often because again, you don't want them associating it.

For a behavior like humping, I just see this as ending the fun way too much given that humpers tend to do their thing multiple times in any given situation.

Sanka is an air humper, so I just let him go. But if he were one that actually mounts, I'd work on just trying to stop it before it starts. I wouldn't want to use recall for that though.
[notify]
Hmmm

What? You said- something?

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 10:06am PST 
Sanka, that was my fear too but I'm just not sure how to go about it otherwise. He's a really bad humper, every dog near his size or bigger he tries to mount. Half the time he's too far from me to pull off and I wouldn't let him continue to go to dog parks because I feel bad but he really has so much energy that just going running with him on a sidewalk won't cut it.

So I'm at a loss for how to redirect this behavior and how such a thing could work.

Oscar,
And yeah I feel bad for the dogs that are always a target at the dog, I've seen dogs be humped by like three dogs at a time =(
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 11:40am PST 
At the dog park, Sanka wouldn't always just jump to the humping. Sometimes he was quite good. Most of the time, he'd end up humping though. Is Baby like that too?

When Sanka would start pestering 1 dog, I'd just go over, grab him, and go sit on the bench with him. Give him like a breather and let the other dog have some fresh air. Some dogs turned it into play and were fine with it. Some owners were fine with it to. So I could let him go. Other times, he was just too annoying. And other times, the owners weren't too happy. So, he didn't get to run around as much since I had to hold onto him. But that's just the way it goes some times.

I think humping is a very hard behavior to get under control in a dog park setting. I can say "ah-ah" to Sanka at home when he starts up and get him to stop immediately, but when at the dog park, no way. The urge to hump plus all the excitement and commotion, that's just asking a lot.

I personally found corrections worked best for Sanka in the home setting. Sanka's humping isn't from playing or excitement from playing. He can just go right up, take a sniff and start to hump. So, it was very hard to get him out of that state of mind I guess I'd call it.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 1:06pm PST 
We do a crate timeout in our daycare if it doesn't stop with a distracting noise OR tossing a toy for the humper to fetch. I think it works because we seldom need to time out the same dog twice in the same day.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 6:20pm PST 
I think if you are familiar with a dog, it's pretty clear when they are getting ready to mount. So what I do is click THOSE behaviors before the dog starts to mount.

It kinda winds up working like a Look At That. it brings the clicker savvy dog's focus back to you, positively interrupts and reinforces four on the floor.
[notify]