GO!

Housebreaking...HELP!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bomber

I wanna be just- like daddy: a US- Marine

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 2:34pm PST 
Our boxer started to do really well with using the bathroom outside. Now all of a sudden he is using the bathroom inside a lot again. He just recently used the bathroom on his bed and in his kennel. I find that odd because I thought dogs don't use the bathroom where they sleep. If anyone has any advice please help!!! He is 4 months old and I don't know if he is doing this because of his age or if he is being stubborn!!!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 4:05pm PST 
Mommy says to wash everything he's pottied in a pet deodorizing soap and make sure no other pets can get into his kennel because I peed in my kennel once cause some nasty kitty rubbed his nasty scent on MY stuff! And if there's a certain spot in the house he's pottying on try putting a food or water bowl ontop of it after cleaning it real good because no one wants to pee on their food!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 8:09pm PST 
Usually when a dog goes potty on his sleeping area, it either means that he's sick, or he's not being let out often. If he is a young puppy, he can't hold his urges as well as adult dogs.

If you don't think he's sick, try using this guide as a rule of thumb:

An inactive puppy (sitting in a crate) will only be able to hold as many hours as his age in months, up to 8 hours.

An active puppy (playing or runing around) will need to go at lest twice as often as when he's inactive.

Since your puppy is 4 months old, you need to take him out at least every 4 hours when he's in the crate. If he's not in the crate, you will need to take him out at least once every 2 hours.
[notify]

Britney

Britney is very- special!!

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 12:07am PST 
I agree with you Snowy! I think I would take your furbaby to the vet just to rule out bladder problems just to be safe. I only say that because Britney had her problem as a little pup. Keep us posted! Britney and her mommy!
[notify]
Sir Maximus

Mama's Boy!

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 6:38am PST 
I would very much suggest that you buy a bottle of Nature's Miracle. I've found it at PETCO and PETSMART although I'm sure you can find it other pet stores as well. We buy it by the gallon. Once you soak of the pee...saturate the area with Nature's Miracle spray. It will eliminate the smell and discourage your pup from going again in the same place...it cleans all the way down. I've also found it to be an excellent stain remover. This stuff is awesome! I wouldn't be without it.
[notify]
Britney

Britney is very- special!!

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 1:34pm PST 
We use Nature's Miracle too!! Great stuff!!!
[notify]
Bomber

I wanna be just- like daddy: a US- Marine

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 2:01pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your help. I am wondering if he has a bladder problem because he knows to go outside and he will walk to the door to let us know. But after he goes outside and uses the bathroom he will come back in and about 5-30 minutes later he will pee on the floor, sometimes more than once in that time frame. I might have to go get his bladder checked. About him peeing on the bed, I think Yogi might be right because my mom's chihuahua was playing on his bed the night before he did it. Thanks again everyone!!
[notify]
Sara

Got Bread?

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 11:59pm PST 
Bomber I would really have this checked out at the Vet - I am betting it's some sort of infection - like a UTI - Sara has had these 2 times and she exhibited the same type of symptoms - good luck!
[notify]
Pluto

CHEDDER- iz - beTTER

Barked: Mon May 23, '05 7:51pm PST 
yes my pup did they same, he was doing well for 2 weeks an than he went back to peeing in the house, but I had to yell at him and make him know that I was upset about it each time. The main goal is to catch him while hes doing it in action so when you tell him "NO" "BAD DOG"!! he'll know what hes doing wrong. now my puppy knows not to go in the house or he'll know i'll be upset and he'll have to hang out in his bed and I wont pay any attetion to him. just try to egnore him after so he'll get it and he wont do it. it will take a while sooo dont give up buddy
[notify]