GO!

sleeping through the night

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Morgan

The Mighty- Labradorus--Rarr- !

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 7:04am PST 
Oh, and it's possible that your pooch could sleep through the night without a potty break... Morgan is close to 4 months now and she holds it through the night now as long as I take her on a good walk and take the water away before bedtime.
[notify]
Abby

I'd love to chew- your shoes

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 10:56am PST 
So there is a light at the end of the tunnel smile We do walk her and pick up the water close to 2 hours before bed. She doesnt really whine when we let her out in the middle of the night..it is rather quiet, it is just every day around 4:30-5:00 she us UP. ughhh...we will just have to leave her until the alarm goes off at 6:00 from the sounds of it. It is just do heart breaking to listen to. Of course i am a first time puppy owner, so I am a sucker.
[notify]
Zoey

Where did you- get those- wonderful toys?

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 11:42am PST 
I just got a brother Rosco and mommy and daddy leave a light on so he is unaware of the time. To comfort him as well daddy left his T-shirt on his bed. He's doing great.
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 1:14pm PST 
Hehe. Yeah puppies are tough to raise. Then again, they're much easier than human babies. My friend had a baby around the time I got Snowy. We've been comparing our notes - his baby is still not potty trained, and he still wakes up every 2 hours!

(then again, he does get to sit inside the restaurant, and he gets to go on carpool lane.. so I'm not sure who's winning in this..)
[notify]
Buddy

Bundle of energy

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 6:46pm PST 
We must have lucked out with Buddy....he was 10 weeks old when we got him and the first night at home we left him in the playpen and he slept right through until 6:30 the next morning.
I did put an old clock that ticks really loud under his bed, so that may have helped.
Mind you I'm a sucker, because the next night I let him sleep in our bed with Allie as well, and he's now nearly 7 mths old and has never wanted out once he settles down for the night.
He knows that when we go to bed at night that he goes outside and "piddle for a cookie" is the term we use, and then that's it until morning.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- NA, NAJ

Running with the- Big Dogs!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 7:27am PST 
I too was lucky. Tuck was 9 wks when he came home with me and after 3 nights of getting up in the middle of the night when he cried, he slept thru the night (9:30 pm -6 am). If I don't set an alarm, sometimes we both sleep thru until 7 or later. I also take up his water dish between 7 and 8 pm. I keep his crate in my room and he goes in easily and settles right down. ** HOWEVER (!)... every now and then he will wake up in the night and start playing with his blanket, his knotted sock, or his stuffed Snuggle Puppy. You would think he had bricks in the crate with him! He isn't crying, barking, growling, or whining... in his mind he is probably playing quietly. But it keeps me awake. So if it is within an hour or two of when we normally get up, I get him up and take him out to potty, then give him water and a biscuit and leave him in his gated area downstairs where he spends most of his day and I go back to bed for an hour or two. I worry that by doing this I will undo all the good work he has been doing. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Sampson

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 5:37pm PST 
My Sampson is 6 1/2 months and he has always slept with us but there are a few times where I've woken up to an accident(in my bed was the latest)I've tried the crate but I've got a mother who will not let him cry in his crate and finds it unfair to keep him in it all night then all day while we're both at work.
Any ideas would help
[notify]
Sara

Got Bread?

Barked: Wed May 25, '05 12:09am PST 
Sampson,

Is there a place in your house where a baby gate can be put up and you can be isolated to a certain room during the day where you would be able to stay out of trouble?

If so, then I'd advise that, and then let you get into your crate at night - also, it helps to put a tick-tock clock near or on the crate - the noise is soothing to doggies.

Hope that helps!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2