GO!

sleeping through the night

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abby

I'd love to chew- your shoes

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 8:13am PST 
I am looking for advise on how to get my puppy to sleep through the night. She is fine at bedtime in the crate, and we do get up once to let her out(only when we hear her)...but she is controlling what time she gets up(every day at 4:30-5:00), even if she was just outside an hour prior. We typically wake up at 6:00 to feed her. Do we leave her in her crate to howl for an hour or do we put her in bed with us? We just started trying the latter(to get some more sleep), and now all she does is stay awake instead of sleep so regardless we are not getting any sleep. HELP!!
[notify]
Morgan

The Mighty- Labradorus--Rarr- !

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 9:09am PST 
By going down there every time she barks or howls, it teaches her that that's the way to get out of the cage. Make it comfortable for her in there, and get her out at the normal time to go out and eat her breakfast. She will soon learn that that's the routine and will stay quiet until it's time to get up.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 9:17am PST 
Good point Morgan! I was about to say the same thing...

I think it's a good idea to let your dog out for potty, but don't make your dog give you the cue. By howling and crying, Abby is just letting you know that she wants to be with you ALL the time. Once she disassociates her crying with you coming, she will stop crying smile
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 9:21am PST 
Meanwhile... you might find earplugs handy... It's tough to ignore a crying puppy, but she'll get used to it in days.
[notify]
Abby

I'd love to chew- your shoes

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 11:21am PST 
thanks, I will prepare myself!! But do you think she is old enough to hold it all night yet? she is 14 weeks.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 3:59pm PST 
I can go through the night without pottying but my mommy takes my water up two hours before my last chance I can go outside and potty, she read that in her "Boxer Bible" called Training Your Boxer.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 8:16pm PST 
It will be pretty tough for a young puppy like Abby to hold it all night (and it's probably not good for her bladders if she tries to). You should let her out to pee in the middle of the night, but it should be under your own terms (don't wait until your dog controls you by giving your a cue). In fact, let her out when she's quiet. If you start giving her a bit of affection with every bathroom trip, she will understand that being quiet begets rewards (attention)!

Here's general rules of thumb when it comes to a puppy's ability to hold her urges:

An inactive puppy (sitting in a crate) will only be able to hold as many hours as her age in months, up to 8 hours.

An active puppy (playing or runing around) will need to go at lest twice as often as when she's inactive.

Since your puppy is 3 months old, you need to take her out around every 3 hours when she's in the crate (although she might be able to hold it a little longer when she's sleeping, I doubt it will be 8 hours at such a young age). If she's not in the crate, you will need to take her out at once every 90 minutes.
[notify]
Morgan

The Mighty- Labradorus--Rarr- !

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 10:56pm PST 
That's a neat rule of thumb Snowy.

My mom and dad do the same thing though, taking my water away from me before the last walk of the evening, so that I don't fill up my bladder any more before bed. It seems to help me not have to go during the night.

I've been SO good at night lately, you wouldn't even know that my mom was worried about me only a week or so ago!
[notify]
Britney

Britney is very- special!!

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 12:13am PST 
I agree with you too Morgan. We would or I should say I would give into Britney in the early am when she would start to cry and go and get her and take her into bed with me after my husband went to work. All she wanted to do was play and I didn't get anymore sleep. I learned quickly to take her out to potty and put her back in the crate and walk away softly. I left soft mucic on or the ticking of a clock and a small night light for her. She soon learned to go gently back to sleep. Good Luck!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun May 22, '05 2:09am PST 
Morgan - Good job! You must make your mommy and daddy proud! Keep it up!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2