GO!

First Heat

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bhaira

Belly Rub! Belly- Rub!

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 12:41pm PST 
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to this site, although I'd been reading without participating in the forums for some time. I've been pretty impressed with the advice posted on here, so I hope to become a frequent visitor.

Bhaira is a rescued stray. I was hoping to spay her before her first heat, but she was diagnosed with demodecic mange which is now generalized. The vet's office recommended we wait until we finish her treatment before spaying her, and judging from her behaviour and age (seven months), I don't think we'll be able to avoid her first heat.

So...any ideas on how to manage a dog in heat? We don't have a yard and she is crated while we're at work except for a break at noon with a dogwalker. Is this okay while she's in heat? Are daily baths in our future? Do the doggie panties work? How on Earth do I keep her from shredding them?

I've never handled a dog in heat before, and I would seriously appreciate some head-ups with regards to what to expect and how to manage it. She tried to hump my leg the other day for the first time, and that alone freaked me out. Sooooo unprepared for it. They up grow so quick! wink
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 3:35pm PST 
I haven't personally delt with a dog in heat but I know some people that have.
People with a bichon put kid's underwear (with a tail hole) on her while she was in heat.
Other person put towels over everything in the house and let 'er go.

Some dogs keep themselves clean during the heat and it's not so bad. shrug
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 3:54pm PST 
As Jewel says, some dogs are able to keep themselves clean. If not, the doggie diapers made for females in heat do work.

While she's in heat, she can't ever be outside off leash if you don't have your own securely fenced yard, and fenced yard or not she must NEVER be outside without direct human supervision RIGHT THERE. No watching from the porch or the window!

No dog parks. No playing with male dogs, fixed or not, because some neutered males will still mate with an in-heat female, and they can "tie." There's lots of potential for injury or disease if your female mates with even a neutered male.

You need to be sure your dog walker understands this and, whether or not she is taking the "easy" way out and taking your dog to a dog park now, that cannot happen while she's in heat.

Keeping her in her crate while you're out of the house is a good idea. Most in-heat females won't try to bust out of the house, but it has been known to happen.

If there are any intact male dogs in your social circle, you want TWO closed doors between than intact male and your girl while she's in heat.

I hope you beat the demodex mange quickly.hug
[notify]

Maya --&- Ramses--

Mayaaaaaaa...don- t wander so- far....

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 9:14am PST 
Well Maya just finished her first heat. Vet said not to spray her yet because she had 'some' growing up still.

She kept herself extremely clean, to the point that I didnt realize she was until a few days later. I was taking care of my friend's husky--and surprise! They were both in heat!. I was going crazy since I never had a girl in heat before either. I thought they had fight and they had draw a little bit of blood, but no...think again. I saw around three-five spots during all the time they were in heat.

Maya--is the one I can tell you the most--was very quiet and easy going. She stopped being the energetic puppy she was in this period preferring the quiet and lazy ways. Kiba was very jumpy and was howling every two hours. They did pretty good together, I thought they were going to be more territorial or something due the heat, but they were nice girls to each other.

Apart from panting a little and crying a little during the night they were just like always. Now, about walking...I didnt take any to the park. I think they were sad and disappointed at me. They would sit in the front gate wagging their tails and howling their frustration when I kept ignoring them. But, I tried to compensate as much as I could by playing. That was exhausting, we would play fetch, run, train, and everything I could think of so they would at least get some exercise.

Hope this helps a little bit, and good luck!
[notify]
Barley

The coffee table- is my bully- stick.

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:22am PST 
I am very interested in what others have to say as I prefer to spay Barley after she has at least one heat cycle. I too have never dealt with a dog in heat, so this will be totally new to me. She will be 6mos old on Sunday, so I'm expecting her first heat to be in a couple months or so.

Does this mean that it's not such a good idea to take her out in the yard off leash to work on retreiving for exercise as well? I do live out in the country and my yard is totally unfenced. Closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, but they don't have dogs. However, slightly further down the road a few neighbors do have dogs, but I've never met them.

Sounds like I'll have to find a different way to get all that energy out of her, which is extremely important as she has tons of it and our house isn't big enough for her to run around and be a maniac anymore.

I plan to have my parents keep Butters during her heat cycle as he IS intact and they have agreed to do this, even if it means pup sitting for 2wks or more.

The good part is that Barley stays crated when noone is home. I will definitely invest in diapers since I have light colored carpet.
[notify]
Bhaira

Belly Rub! Belly- Rub!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:36am PST 
Thanks for the posts! It's nice to know there's a place to ask these questions. Really, thank you.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how Bhaira handles it before I start thinking about doggy-pants. I'll admit to being a little nervous tho. I'm also crossing my fingers that she'll follow Maya's example and settle down some. She's been more energetic than usual lately (and that's saying something).

As for the demodex...it's proving difficult, but we're persevering. Hopefully we'll have kicked its bum in a few months.

Edited by author Thu May 12, '11 11:38am PST

[notify]
Bhaira

Belly Rub! Belly- Rub!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:40am PST 
Barley just reignited my curiosity: How do you go about making sure the dog keeps the doggie-pants ON?
[notify]
Barley

The coffee table- is my bully- stick.

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:54am PST 
You'd be surprised at how well those things stay on. A couple I know used them for their dog, however she did not try to chew them off. The disposable kind stay pretty snug just like a baby diaper. They even crafted a pair of underwear to use on her when funds got low, so that they could buy the cheap dollar store pads to change out. Not sure how they kept those on her tho.

I'm not sure how Barley would react to disposable diapers, but I'm going to give them a shot anyways. Maybe I should try putting old underwear on her now just for desensitization? Maybe you could try the same for when the time comes for if you'll be needing the pants or not.
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 12:50pm PST 
Paris went into her first heat not long after we took her in. She was fairly clean, and she had minimal discharge. My mom bought some kids cloth diaper cover underpants and put panty liners in them. She didn't really bother hers at all. She just wanted to lick all the time down there. They do sell "bitch britches" though. Our yard isn't fenced in so she had to be leashed to potty anyway. We put walks on hold and exercised indoors. She really didn't want to be bothered too much and was definitely on a shorter fuse than normal with Nicky.
[notify]
Bhaira

Belly Rub! Belly- Rub!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 2:08pm PST 
Hmmm...I guess practicing with an old pair of underwear is a pretty good idea.

Paris also made me think of something I hadn't considered before but totally makes sense. Is there an equivalent to PMS for dogs?

I had heard they sometimes exhibit nesting behavior, but do they also have mood swings? Cramps? Is there anything I can do to make it better? (Midol anyone?)

I may be suffering a severe case of anthropomorphism here...but it seems like something that the females in our species share in common. I'm wondering to what extent.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2