GO!

Any Great Pyreneese Owners ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Emmie

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 12:18pm PST 
I would like to talk to people who have Great Pyr. I have never owned one so this is my first. I have so many questions....Please Help. Thanks.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 5:15pm PST 
If you go back to the forum list and scroll down about 1/2 way, you will see a choice for breed specific forums. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:52pm PST 
I have 4 & an Akbash/Maremma (two other guardian breeds) cross.
Two of my Pyrs & my cross breed live in the house & 2 Pyrs are out guarding our fainting/pygmy goats.
What would you like to know?big grin
[notify]

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 7:13pm PST 
Samson's much more of an expert than I am, but I did grow up with a Great Pyrenees named Molly. Fabulous dog...in that GP way.
[notify]
Roxy

mommy\\\\\\\'s- guardian

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 9:01pm PST 
We have Roxy our pyr! Love this breed!!
[notify]
Emmie

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 10:14am PST 
Dear Samson,
Nice to meet you. Wow four Pyr ? I couldn't imagine having more than one. What I would like to know is how to take care of them. I have some knowledge from reading as much inf I can get my hands on but the real experiences come from owners like yourself. I'm so honered to meet you.
as you can read in Emmies profile, we were literally just handed over this wonderful dog. No payment, no questions asked. We were welcome to return Emmie if things didn't work out. Well,fat chance of that happening because We fell in love the second We met her. Her big Brown eye's were enough for me.
I have chickens and ducks and two Cockatoos so I was a little concerned that Emmie wouldn't take to them or try to eat them. We were amazed how the cockatoos weren't even phased by her and Emmie would just walk around their cages and wanted nothing to do with them. That was a good thing right ?
They get along great and I have let one of the Cockatoos out of her cage while Emmie was sleeping on the floor and our Cockatoo just walked around Emmie about 3 inches from her nose and just went on with her nap. I was so relieved that there was not a single bit of fear from either of them.
The same with the chickens, they aren't even the least bit concerned by Emmie. They have been out free ranging and while emmie was on a chain, the crazy birds would go right up to Emmie's food bowl and eat her dog food. Emmie would just continue lying there and not once got upset. She walks around the chicken coop at night and makes sure everything is ok...she is the gardian of those chickens and ducks...She keeps the racoons and opossoms and coyotes away.

OK, just alittle about Emmie. The questions I have are : My dog has been kept indoors and now that it's warming up outside, I have been letting her sleep outside but she has become destructive with anything around her. She shredded our Hammock...She is digging deep holes in the grass. There is nothing for her to do out there at night and I'm sure she is bored. I hear her bark alot and I'm sure it has to do with creatures out there. I know it's her job to ward off predators so I'm not too concerned about the barking but she cannot actually run after them. Is this dangerous for her ? Can she harm herself by trying to run after them while on her cable ? The cable is on a extension that has a roller so she can go back and forth. It's about 75 feet long.

I hate leaving her out side at night but she drives me crazy by going to the door and wanting to go out. So I decided to start letting her sleep outside. It breakes my heart because I'm used to having her at the foot of my bed and I feel content having her there, safe.
The other thing I wanted to ask was, does your dog's drink alot of water ? Eat very little ? pee alot ?
I hope I didn't bore you too much. Can't wait to hear from you. Have a great day. Ray & Emmie
[notify]
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 10:27am PST 
I have a 3 year old Great Pyr (well, she will be on March 30).

I would not leave a Pyr on a cable. It will frustrate them and she WILL figure how to get out of it! In the first month we had Sophie (she was 10 weeks when we got her), she figured out how to open her crate (with her on the inside and it latched), open the front door, open the fridge. Do not every under estimate at Pyr, they are very very smart.

A lot of Pyrs prefer to be outside (like Samson's) but some prefer to be inside. Sophie was born on a goat farm, but now...nope...she prefers the inside and the air conditioning. She loves to go outside and play but she's a princess that sleeps in the bed. Pyrs also tend to Disapyr! They like to follow their noses and go on adventures. Even with all her training, Sophie goes for walks (on our farm) ON LEASH!

Pyrs are also very VERY sensitive. You need to use positive training. They will shut down if they are receiving negative feedback.

As for eating, they are not generally food motivated and are not big eaters. I wouldn't say Sophie drinks a lot...no more than my 2 non Great Pyrs do. She also has some amazing bladder control. She once went almost 24 hours without peeing...not because she had to but because we were traveling and she wasn't comfortable peeing in a strange place (I guess...she was given multiple opportunities to go).
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 10:44am PST 
I don't know that I would leave my Pyr on a tie out either...Is there anyway you can get some fencing & put her in with the chickens at night?...This would give her a job to do & probably curtail the barking back some...You are so lucky to have a Pyr that gets on well with birds!...Often this isn't the case as birds move erratically & that makes some Pyrs want to play with them...This usually results in the death of the bird.
As far as digging goes...This is a common Pyr trait...The dig Great Pyrenees sized holes...I just let them dig.
The destruction probably stems from boredom or anxiety...It sounds like Emma is pretty laid back though so maybe she is bored...Does she have anything to play with?...A nice big raw meaty bones will go a long way to take up some of her time & will keep her teeth pearly white too!
I don't notice that my Pyrs drink an excessive amount but they are light eaters...They have such a slow metabolism that they take much less food than one would think for a dog that size.
I hope this helps!
eta: Here is a link for The Great Pyrenees Library...Lots of info. here though I do not agree with some of the articles with harsher training methods...As Sophie said Pyrs do best with positive training.
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library.htm

Edited by author Sat Mar 5, '11 10:49am PST

[notify]
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 11:55am PST 
I just read your profile and noted her age. Has she been tested for diabetes? Excessive thirst and urinations are symptoms.
[notify]
Emmie

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 1:45pm PST 
Thanks again everyone.
I think I will let her sleep in the chicken run tonight. Itis fully fenced in about 8 ft. high and she wont be able to jump it for sure and there she will be able to run around freely with out a tie. I never thought about that until now. What a great idea folks. My roommate is concerned she will dig under the fence and escape. I don't think she will. honestly. God I hope I'm right.

I don't know if she was tested for diabetes but will call the Vet on Mon. and find out. It's a good question.
She is sleeping peacefully today in my room on the floor but I'm sure she will get restless later and want to go out for the night. Wish me luck....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3