GO!

Leash training a puppy mill dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 8:51am PST 
i have adopted a 3 year old Mini Schnauzer which was a puppy mill dog. We had maggie for about 1 1/2 weeks and we are tring to leash train her. When I leash her she just wants to sit there and ignore me. I don't want to force her. Any ideas?

Edited by author Tue Mar 1, '11 11:37am PST

[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 9:52am PST 
time, patience and lots and lots of treats!! big grin it can take a dog 4 mos or so to adjust to their new home, so don't rush anything, just relax and let her get to know you and vice versa way to go
[notify]
Lily

support rescue!

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 11:04am PST 
Do you have another dog in the family who is leash trained? Lily had no idea how to walk on a leash when I adopted her. But I made sure to take her out a few times a day with the leash for short "practices" and I never forced her to do anything she didn't want to do. How I believe she really learned so quickly is that we also brought along my other dog Oscar who is VERY confident on his leash and she just watched him do his "thang". Maybe if you can get a friend or neighbor to walk with you.....it always helps to have another pup to learn from. Best wishes!blue dog

Edited by author Mon Feb 28, '11 11:05am PST

[notify]

Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Tue Mar 1, '11 6:19pm PST 
Is the dog able to tolerate the leash at all (in the house). I would start inside the house in a room the dog is comfortable with. You could also get very cheap leashes. I think you can get "cat leashes" (just thin 4 foot leashes) online. You can pick up a few of these for under $10. You can cut them very short and let the dog drag them around. Start with something like 6 inches or so and work up. Don't pick it up yet just drag. Then you can work up to holding onto the leash but no direction. A special treat or activity might be in order. Really it works well. You can get a cat to like a leash that way. So I am pretty sure it would work for a dog. smile

--des
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Mar 1, '11 7:09pm PST 
I start exactly as Torie suggested (except I use 1$ leashes from the Dollar Store to cut up).

However, you have only had her for 1.5 weeks. She may not yet be ready for training. She may still be adjusting to her new home.

Does she take food from your hand? Does she seek out attention from you or find it uncomfortable? Can she tolerate a leash without flipping out?

ETA: My best method for LLW is in Asher's diary and there is a video on his page putting it all together. If she has leash issues but will take food, you can start the process without the leash.

Also, given that this is a mill dog, you may want to use a harness. It is a bit more secure. I don't know where she is in the rehab process, but most mill dogs are runners if they escape and will only stop when they have run themselves into exhaustion.

Edited by author Tue Mar 1, '11 7:12pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 5:57am PST 
Thank you for your response, no she will not take food from my hand in fact she will only eat if she is laying in her bed. The leash doesn't seem to bother her and we do use a harness. Maybe I'm just trying to rush it to fast. Thanks again snoopy
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 6:31am PST 
I think it would be best to wait until she is more comfortable.

Let her feel safe and secure in your home before pushing her into new and potentially scary things. Trust is so important for these dogs, let her learn to trust you.

Do you know what clicker training is? I find clicker training to be a huge help with mill dogs. Most are terrified of the clicker initially, so I often start with either a snapple lid as a marker or a word.

Clicker training is an entirely hands off approach, and often very confidence building.

And bless you for taking her from a life of misery!
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 8:29pm PST 
Dollar store leashes sound like the way to go, Asher. smile
Anyway I agree, just sounds like the dog needs a lot more time and patience (I'm sure you're patient).

--des
[notify]
Carlee

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 2:22pm PST 
Patience.

When I was still living with my parents, we had a puppy mill rescue. He was scared of collars, harnesses and leashes. It wasn't until about 4-5 months later when we adopted another dog when he learned. I was taking Guinness on daily walks and Peanut was getting jealous about not going. It'll happen, they're still learning that people can be trusted. smile
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 3:00pm PST 
Asher and Tori, interesting side note: When I showed heifers (way back in HS) thats how we taught them to tolorate the halter... We would leave a rope halter on them for about a week before we really started working with them (at that time they were in a small stall, not free-ranging where they could get hurt)I never thought about doing something like that with a dog...BOL!

...we also tied their halter to a donkey's and let them out into the big pen as a halter breaking technique...shock

ETA: To the OP, puppy mill dogs are tough. PAWS had a group of 80 mill pups come in about 3 months ago. Many of those puppies are still having a hard time adjusting. I know of one who is in a GREAT foster home (still) and has JUST started freely allowing the foster mom to even TOUCH her.

Other rescues, like my dobe who I adopted at 4 months old, still take months to learn that this really, really is their new home. It's a tough transition! She has just accepted me as a reality and not a temporary...it's been since November and she doesn't have near the social issues that a mill pup has. I'm not saying yours will have hard-core problems, but it will probably take more time than usuall for her to trust you! This may mean that some training (leash/obedience) will have to take a back-seat to just plain love for a couple of months. Then, when she settles, her trust in you plus a really good clicker training will build a lot of confidence in her and this stuff will get much, MUCH easier.

Edited by author Fri Mar 4, '11 3:17pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2