GO!

my dog ate a tampon...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Snoopy

I don't walk or- run, I sniff....

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 4:53am PST 
it happened on Monday. I haven't seen him pass it yet. He was at doggy day care 1x this week so far and they are supposed to be watching him, but I'm not sure if they watched him that close to see that it passed. I have not seen him pass it.

I also don't know if he tore it up before swallowing itthinking ... but my gut feeling would be yes... he tears most things up that he chews on.

So this was Monday. He seems to be doing okay. Yesterday he was acting a big tired... not really like him for a day he doesn't go to doggy day care.

Should I be worried? Would he have passed it since he ate it on Monday? ... and if it was shredded, would he still get sick from it? frown

... and sorry for the TMI... but yes the tampon was usedconfused

edit... oh and yes, he's been pooping regularly all week. His poops seem to be normal. I try hard to feel in the poop, if I can feel the tampon, but nothing yet. ... but then again he might have shredded it before swallowing... so it might be hard to feel.

(this is a lovely topic confused)

Edited by author Thu Feb 24, '11 4:59am PST

[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 5:26am PST 
I'd say as long as he's still eating, drinking and pottying you're safe to just keep watching him. If he stops any of those three though, or starts acting extremely lethargic you need to get him in asap.

This totally reminds me of my aunts dog. Miniature Schnauzer. We were all outside one day, he went to take a poo and starts just SCREAMING. We all run over and see a string...yeah. She pulls, and pulls, and pulls, all the while the dog is just in agony. Takes a few minutes but eventually she did help him pass a fully intact tampon eek

We all about barfed. It was certainly one of the nastiest things I've ever seen in my life lol

Small dog, who also usually chews everything it is and isn't supposed to, and he still managed to inhale it whole.

He was fine after that but she now keeps the bathroom trash can under the sink way to go
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 6:07am PST 
Not to scare you, but I would definitely call your vet for their opinion--if you haven't already! I do know of a beagle who had to have emergency surgery for this very situation.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 9:37am PST 
Our dog growing up did this too, really nasty. My concern would be the string. The paper part shouldn't be any issue, but that string could get tangled up, so he's still passing stool, but it's causing issues. I would advise calling the vet.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 11:16am PST 
I'd go with calling the vet also. Even a used torn-up one can still absorb and it might end up causing a blockage somewhere in there.

I caught Juneau chewing on them all the time when she was a pup so we taught the dogs to NEVER touch the trash, especially the bathroom trash no matter how good it might have smelled.
(Sorry but it's the truth...)
[notify]
holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 6:38pm PST 
a few years ago when I was researching things dogs eat than are bad (we had a dog back then that ate soooo many bizarre things). I read that tampon and panty ingestion are the number one reason for surgery due to impacted bowels. It actually is the cotton stuff, it swells as it absorbs. I agree with trigger that you probably shouldn't panic but continue to watch for any symptoms.
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 5:45pm PST 
Snoopy, you better keep us updated! How are you doing?blue dog
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 6:07pm PST 
Only on Dogster can you say tampon and poop and everyone understands and doesn't judge!! thinking

How's it going? Anything interesting pass yet? wink
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 9:47pm PST 
Not totally helpful, but I know a dog that ate several used tampons in one sitting and somehow he ended up being just fine. But I hope it's passed and call your vet.
[notify]