GO!

Fake shivering to get attention.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Junior

I can run just- as fast with 3- legs

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 7:21pm PST 
I'm wondering if anybody elses dog does this.

We had Thanksgiving today and since people were coming and going with their hands full, we left Junior outside so he wouldn't be in the way.

Naturally, he laid by the sliding glass door and just stared through it for hours. He would sit there and shiver or lay there and shiver...but only when he saw us looking at him. He's done this before, and when I'd go out there with him, he would be perfectly fine. Even if I just sat out there with him, he wouldn't shiver.

He does have a dog house to go into if he truly is cold. We usually have him in the garage to sleep and stay warm, but again, because people were coming and going (they go through the garage to get into the house), Junior stayed outside.

Does anybody elses dog do this or does anybody else have a dog that "fakes" something to get attention?
[notify]
Luka

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 7:37pm PST 
Luka shivered. At first I didn't realize that she was "faking" and used to baby her... so she did it more. Now I ignore it and she stops. She hasn't done it in about a month since I stopped giving in! smile
[notify]
Lacey

Mobile Kissing- Booth

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 8:57pm PST 
Lacey will fake shiver plus give me big puppy eyes when I'm in bed and she wants to come up. I think it's super adorable! I have a hard time not acquiescing haha! Sometimes I pretend I'm already asleep, she'll either attempt to ninja her way up onto the bed or become a brat and whine and claw at me.

Edited by author Thu Nov 25, '10 9:01pm PST

[notify]

Greco Heinz- Marquardt

Cat Lover

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 9:21pm PST 
My wifes dog shivers and let me tell you it cracks me up! because my wife, bless her soul she knows all she has to do it ignore it completely for a few times and the dog will stop doing it, but she tells me she does not want to ignore it! HAHA so Maddie just keeps on getting her way, the funny thing is, she never shivers when mom is not around! Try completely ignoring your dog it will stop eventually!!! consistancy is Key!!!
[notify]