GO!

fear of walking sticks

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 1:31pm PST 
So why are dogs so afraid of people with walking sticks? I use one when I go out on my own and dogs always back away. Last night there was a beautiful dobie on the subway, and he kept backing away because of my walking stick, but once I folded it up, he started playing with me, XD. So will my own dogs be afraid of my walking stick too?
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 4:45pm PST 
Is he a rescue with an unknown history? Might have used sticks on him?
Yikes what a thought. I would do some kind of conditioning. For instance, you could start with a small stick and give food with it, and gradually increase the size. Or you could have the stick in the room and gradually get him closer to it. I think this will take a while. If you use a clicker it all might go a bit faster.

http://www.clickertraining.com
http://www.clickersolutio ns.com

--des
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 5:23pm PST 
My dogs aren't afraid of sticks. Maybe that dog was abused.
[notify]

Mini

A Heartbeat at- Your Feet ♥

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 5:33pm PST 
I knew a dog who was afraid of flashlights, it would bark and back up everytime one was around. It was from a rescue and we thought it must have been something in its past that triggered that reaction. Could be the same case with the dog you saw?
Mini gets afraid of wagons and I have no understanding of why but once we brought her close to one and she licked the little kid inside she was Ok. Just taught her that there's no reason to be scared when there's a little sticky child in there with fingers and faces to lick!! laugh out loud
Good luck!
[notify]
Woofie 1988- - 2001

...the Wonder- dog (where is- she?)

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 6:36pm PST 
en I took Woofie in to foster she was terrified of canes, crutches walking sticks, old people unsteady on their feet and the word "come".

I pictured her being beaten with a cane, for not coming when called, by a mean old person.

She lived with me for 10 wonderful years and learned to trust again.

Miss you smiley face!
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 8:03pm PST 
Torry, I don't have dogs yet, D: I'd hate to think that my future pups would have that fear.

Oh dog, I sure hope that dobie wasn't abused in his past life. He was a very beautiful sweet boy. I wanted to take him home, XD. However, it is a possibility that he might've been, IDK.
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 8:13pm PST 
I hope he wasn't abused either, but also keep in mind dogs don't necessarily need to be abused to have an irrational fear of something. smile

Ava hates people with crutches. She was ok with crutches when she was a puppy, since my BF's mom broke her ankle and had to use them every now and then when she wasn't bed ridden, but I guess I didn't keep up the socializing long enough and she grew up not trusting them. She was never hit with a crutch, or given any reason to fear them...I just don't think I did a good enough job letting her know they're ok, and a normal part of human life.

It's a bit embarrassing, and something we need to work on more now that she's pretty much an adult, because she'll growl at sweet old folks in public if they're using crutches. red face

Edited by author Fri Nov 5, '10 8:14pm PST

[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 12:46am PST 
Well here's a possibility I hadn't thought of the first time I answered this, but dog's can fear something that looks like it's an extension of you without being you (some dogs fear big heavy parkas, backpacks, etc.)
Dog's don't always get the idea that you are carrying something. They think you sprouted it or something. (At least according Patricia McDonnell.)

--des
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 7:50am PST 
I agree with Torrie- fear of things like walking sticks can be from a lack of exposure to them during socialization rather than proof of abuse. When I moved from my apartment to my parents' house in the suburbs, I had to spend some time convincing Chandler that people doing yardwork were harmless. As far as he was concerned, shovels, rakes, trowels, etc were all suspicious implements.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 9:27am PST 
Wow Torry that's kinda weird but funny at the same time, XD. I'd really love to know what goes through a dog's head when they have a fear of ananomid objects. I just don't understand it. If I did, I'd know how to train them better.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2